PPG 3 Layer Pearl Yellow - Variance

rodrocket

greetings all
newbe hear & am in need of some help

i was going to have my race car painted with PPG's Variance range of paint's

the guy who is going to paint it for me has recomended not to go with the three layer system for a couple of reasons

one is it will be very hard to touch up & match

the other is he has never used it

what i am looking for is a Yellow very similar to the PPG Variance "Yellow"

i want to keep a Pearl efect but dont want to go the three layer road

this car will have several other colors on it & dont want the fuss with a big paint edge as the colors will be edge to edge

all help appreciated

regards
Rod

T

TAZ

I would also suggest the same...don't do it in a tri-stage. Especially if you are spraying the car in pieces (not for sure if you are doing this though).
They are also impossible to touch up.

If you plan on painting the car all at once (not in pieces), you could possibly just paint it a yellow, then add one to two coats of pearl over it so you still get the 'pearlescent' look, and still make it so it wouldn't be impossible to touch up.

No matter what 'yellow' you would be using, it is one of your more expensive type paints.

Not for sure if you were talking about the Vibrance color named 'Yella'. This is VERY expensive paint.

rodrocket

thanks for the reply

yes "Yella" is the color that i was refering to

the painter sugested the same as you

all i need to do now is find a "yellow" that is similar to Yella

thanks again
regards
rod

T

TAZ

If you are just looking for the same 'color' as the yellow, you can order just the yellow. This is not the expensive part of the color. It is the top coat paint that is the expensive paint. This is what gives the effect to the 'Yella' paint.

Here would be the yellow color
Paint # 908414

Yellow is one of your more expensive colors so except about a $75-$100 for a pint of the yellow.

rodrocket

If you are just looking for the same 'color' as the yellow, you can order just the yellow. This is not the expensive part of the color. It is the top coat paint that is the expensive paint. This is what gives the effect to the 'Yella' paint.

Here would be the yellow color
Paint # 908414

Yellow is one of your more expensive colors so except about a $75-$100 for a pint of the yellow.

i hope i am reading this correct

the 3 layer pearl is made up of

Base Color #????

Yellow Color #908414

Top / Clear / Pearl # ????

are you saying that if i paint the car first with a sealer, then hit it with
PPG yellow #908414
then a couple of coats of Pearl

it will look almost the same

& if so

does he have to mix the Pearl with the clear or does the clear go on afterwards

hope the above questions dont sound to stupid but i am not a painter, last time i painted it was called finger painting

thanks again
regards
rod

T

TAZ

Rod,

This is a tri-stage paint. The first color is just a yellow (after the sealer). The second coat is the 'Liquid Crystals', then the third of course would be the clear.

The Liquid Crystals are not the same as a pearl. So if you decide to use a pearl, you would not get the same look as the Yella paint. Really, not even close. The pearls will give the yellow a more 'pastel' look while the crystals will retain the yellow and give it a whole different look to it.

The pearl gets mixed in with a 'basecoat type clear', then clearcoated with straight clear.

rodrocket

now i understand

i am getting the car painted for free from a body shop that we deal with & i have been lucky enough to have one of our suppliers offer me all the materials for free

i love the Variance range of colors but the guy who will be spraying it is worried as he has never used it before & doesnt want to kill it

also the guy giveing me the paint ect doesnt want to waste the material if it comes out looking junk

the painter will have enough work with all the masking ect as all they normally do is paint cars all one color

what i need is a Yellow that once it has some Pearl over the top is will be BRIGHT & looks similar to the Variance Yella

as for the Blue i think it was called Night Sky

the red will still be 3 layer Pearl & is called "oh so sexy"

i will try to post up a picture of what i am trying to acchive as its on a US based car were i say the design

i want to paint it on a 89 Pontiac Firbird

regards
rod

rodrocket

ColorScheme.jpg

rodrocket

colorscheme1.jpg

i would be interested to know what you think, not only of the layout but also the best way to go about this

i want to paint the same scheme onto the scoop aswell

thanks again
regards
rod

T

TAZ

Rod,
So I am assuming that you also have this same type race car?

Also, I am assuming that you would be spraying the car together? Not piece by piece.

I wasn't for sure what type race car you had? This would make a big difference on what yellow, how to paint....

Let me know.

rodrocket

greetings Taz

just looking at the "Yella" color swatch & it show's the following

Yella 3ct
Base 908413
908413/2 Top

the "o-so-orange has 908414 base

the red that i want to use is called
"O-So-Sexy" 3ct
Base 908328
908328/2 Top

the blue is
"Night Sky" 3ct
Base 908349
908349/2 top

the car is a 89 Pontiac Trans-am

will be running Super Stock with it

what i was thinking is if we paint the Yellow & the Blue & i will get a local guy to come & Airbrush the red

can we just use the base for the Yellow & Blue & then put some type of Pearl over the top to get a very similar effect the let the Airbrush guy do his thing then Clear over the top of all of it

sorry for sounding lame on this but this is all new to me

really appreciate your help

thanks again
regards
rod

T

TAZ

From what I see in the previous pics, you really don't even need an airbrush guy.
I would suggest doing the yellow with the crystals on the complete car except the deck lid. the masking off the area where the red and blue goes (just the front edge of the stripe, not the rear of the red stripe). Once this complete Spray the red on an area about 2' wider than the stripe really will be. THEN mask off the red stripe. Then the rest will go the blue. You can add the crystals over each color as you go.
You could have a striper come out and stripe each edge of the red stripe. Possibly in an orange or a very bright blue.

This would be the easiest way to do all three colors by yourself. This would save you alot of $.

You could even 'tape' the pinstripes on the edge of the red (this would eliminate the pinstriper to), but this is a whole different step by step process.

Take care!

:bigokay:

rodrocket

thanks for your help with this project, its very much appreciated

to keep the cost of materials down we have made a slight deviation on the colors

the "Yellow" will be the base from yella (908413)

the "Blue" is the Nissan 350Z blue, carnt think of its name

the same frost can be spraied over both these colors to save on the masking off

its due to be paint on January 11th

hope all goes well

if you have any other sugestions i would be greatfull to hear

thanks again
regards
rod