POWER TOOLS

S

shaunboy

ARE RUPES AND FESTOOL, VERY BIG IN THE STATES?
IN NEW ZEALAND THEY ARE THE MARKET LEADERS FOR
BUFFS,DA'S,GRINDERS AND VACUUM DRY SANDING UNITS.
THEY ARE SO BIG THAT VIRTUALLY NOTHING ELSE IS AVAILABLE.
3M ABRASIVES ARE ALSO PRETTY MUCH IN CHARGE OF THE SANDPAPER/MASKING EQUIPMENT.
ALSO ARE YOUR SPRAY BOOTHS MAINLY HEATED BY DIESEL OR LPG.
OURS ARE MAINLY LPG.

rex

Never heard of Rupes and Festool.Makita is big in the electric tools,and Hutchins and Dynabraid are popular DAs.I just got an AirAdvantage that's a knockoff of the Dynabraid and it's great.I use the Hutchins the most,and have a BluePoint (Snap On) that's great for the aggressive stuff like bodywork and stripping small areas.3M and Norton are big in tape and abrasives,but I use quite a bit of Eagle (120 to 2000) and Mirka's Gold (40 and 80 grit) paper.I think 3M is the only masking tape worth using.All the heated booths I know of run on propane,but they forgot one thing-the friggin' air conditioner.I can deal with painting in a 100 degree booth,but it's really hard to keep the sweat from dropping on an overall.

ezrider

Rex , when you hear of a shop owner with a booth that is AC equipped let me know. i would like to get a job there. the past 2 weeks have brutial, temps near 100 with a rediculious humidity level, but it mellowed out today (thank god )i dont how much more i could take.
mad.gif

S

shaunboy

HERE IN NEW ZEALAND WE USE CELSIUS FOR TEMPERATURE AND IN THE SUMMER WE CANT GET THE BOOTH BELOW 30'C WHICH IS HOT AND LIKE REX SAYS SOMETIMES SWEAT WILL DROP ONTO THE JOB.
IVE HEARD OF SOME SPRAYBOOTHS IN AUSTRALIA THAT ARE AIR CONDITIONED BECAUCSE OF EXTREMELY HOT CONDITIONS
ALSO
FESTOOL IS GERMAN
RUPES IS ITALIAN
WE SEEM TO GET ALOT OF EUROPEAN INDUSTRIAL TOOLS OVER HERE ,I THINK IT'S BECAUSE OR THE CURRENCY RATE.
48 CENTS USA IS WORTH $1 NEW ZEALAND AT THE MOMENT.

rex

EZ,it's been pretty brutal I think this year,eh?The sad part is it's late August/early Sept when we get the 2-3 weeks of really insane stuff,Over 100 every day almost and 80+% humidity.I know Scott sees it but it may be a bit better for him since he's closer to the gulf breezes.Shaunboy,when I get rich enough I'll buy one of those booths.I can't believe the currency exchange there,that's worse than Canada the last time I was there.Maybe I'll seriously hoard some money for a few years and move there
haha.gif

S

shaunboy

YES ANYTHING MADE IN USA IS EXPENSIVE OVER
MY FRIEND DOES LEFT TO RIGHT HAND STEERING CONVERSIONS ON CHEVY TRUCKS AND THE PRICE FOR A BRANDNEW ONE STARTS AT AROUND $80000 FOR A BASELINE MODEL
I HAVE SPOKEN TO A FEW AMERICANS ON HOLIDAY OVER HERE AND THEY ARE AMAZED HOW CHEAP THINGS ARE TO DO ONCE THEIR MONEY IS CONVERTED.