Poor mans 3 stage

T

TAZ

If you like the "Laser Red" (Code E9) from Ford, but are afraid to spray this in a three stage formula (Metallic basecoat - Transparent red - Clearcoat), I have the answer for you. You can have your local paint supply store mix you up the following formula in PPG Global. This is extremely close to the E9 color, but this formula will enable you to do it in a basecoat/clearcoat.
Here is the formula along with the tints:
-------------------------------
E9 two stage
-D752 Red 53.9
-D773 Salmon 157.3
-D799 Rose 321.2
-D793 Red Pearl 379.4
-------------------------------

The above will get you one quart. If you only need one pint, simply divide the amounts by 2.

Make sure if you spray this color that you have a consistent color as a base. This color is very transparent.
I usually use like a medium gray.

Once you spray this, of course you will need to clear it. The clear will really bring out the depth.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Scott F ]

M

martys748

Im getting ready to paint my motorcycle, this color cought my attention, is there a web page I could see a sample of the red?

T

TAZ

Actually, the formula that I give above is so close to E9, if you find a pic of a vehicle in E9, this is what it would look like.
One of our users posted a few messages with links to vehicles with E9 on it.
Go to the "General Auto/Motorcycle painting" section, then look for the post "E9 laser red information!!!". You will see messages he posted.
Keep in mind when you spray this color, I suggest spraying a light red oxide (or lighter gray) as either a base or a sealer under the E9 2 stage formula. This will make covering much better, as it is very transparent. Do not attempt to spray it over mismatching colored panels as a base or directly spraying over a car/part with primer spots on it. It would take way to many coats to get it covered. In other words, make sure you have a "uniform" colored basecoat or sealer to spray over.