Please I need advice

juliet91403

Hello my name is Julie, I'll preface this by saying that I am not very knowledgeable about car paint. But that's why I am here, hoping to get some advice...here's my problem:
I had someone work on my car's fender the other day (I have a 2004 white Acura RSX) where there was chipped paint and a dent. When I saw the finished job I was uneasy. He pulled the dent out via suction, and that was fine. But he sprayed Rustoleum over quite a large area and it looks terrible.
I kept asking him, why is my paint matte and no longer glossy like the rest of the car. He just brushed it off (figuratively) and said it was the shadows or it's dust and it will wipe off.
I am no expert but it looks like s***. I cleaned the area hoping it would look better but to no avail. I just want to undo what he did to my car. I love my car, I take very good care of it and I am freaking out a little inside.
Any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging the original paint?
Thanks,
Julie

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Julie,

Sorry to hear about your experience.
I've seen this before where they 'sell' the job but don't know what they are doing.
I'm sure you were trying to get a 'cheap' job (less expensive). You get what you pay for definitely also applies to auto body and painting.
Hopefully you didn't pay cash, but I have a feeling you did. This is normally how these type people work. They simply put ads on CL and try to scam people.
Or, I've seen a job where they go around parking lots trying to drum up business.
You may want to take pics of the work and post them on CL under Automotive Services so no-one else gets scammed.

My suggestion to you is find a local auto body shop that will take care of this for you.
All that spray can will need to be removed. Which is fairly easy. Most of the time lacquer thinner will take the spray can off without damaging your original paint.

If you're in the Tampa, Fl area, let me know. I'll be glad to give you quote and get your RSX back the way it should be.

juliet91403

That is exactly what happened. It was a cheap job and I paid cash. I was approached by a man with his two sons and he noticed the damage on my car and offered to fix it up. I don't know why my better judgment escaped me at that moment but I agreed.
He said he needed the extra work to get by and I felt a bit bad for him. That's what I get for being too soft-hearted and trusting - I'm mere fodder for the avaricious opportunists. What a fool I am.
I didn't know that was a "thing"...they cruise around fishing for poor saps like myself. This may sound naive but the lack of integrity in some people is really saddening.
Anyway thanks for the info! It gives me hope. I'm in CA so I can't take you up on your offer. ^_^ I was thinking of getting my car fully detailed professionally... Do you suppose they could take care of the spray paint for me?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
The detail shop won't be able to take care of the spray can for you. You'll need to just take it to a local bodyshop.
They can take the old paint off for you and do the bodywork and paint job properly for you. THEN take it to a detailer where they'll freshen up the whole car for you.

Good luck to you! If you need any help / advice let us know.

Me and my wife will be heading to CA in 2 weeks, CAN'T WAIT.
SF, Big Sur and Yosemite - 10 days.