Pinstripe removed on a 02' F150 Harley Davidson (must see)

califabricator

hello all ,
i just recently removed the pinstripe off my 2002 HD F150. The paint through out the truck is still nice minus the touch ups in various places.
after i peeled off the stripes, underneath where the stripe used to be is different and noticable. i have been trying maguires 205 cut and a medium cut cleaner to do the job but by hand is taking a long time for no or little results. it seems to work but it will take forever.
what i would like is a complete set up:
- what type make or modle of DA (air/electric) to do the job
- what type of compounds to get
- what type of pads to get
its a small task to do both sides of the truck but i want to set up right and there is no paint store to work with in my area. i have to go to Springfield Mo or to St Louis Mo to try and get anything worth getting. both being 1.5 hours away and i dont want to get the wrong equipment or materials.
One paint shop said wet sand over the phone and acted like they know what they doing, words were wet "sand and buff"
Went to another shop and they just gave me an estimate and said they would try in a small spot and see whats going on, 280.00
here are a few pics to show what im working with...
what do you guys think?
should i do it by hand and do the sides or set up and do the whole truck?
should i use air or electric tools?

4c4bbd3f.jpg
[/IMG]

a3d7b9d7.jpg
[/IMG]

c82f9934.jpg
[/IMG]

032f49a4.jpg
[/IMG]

f48d13ef.jpg
[/IMG]

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure in the long run you'll end up spending more than $280, but you'll have all the materials and tools to do it yearly or whenever you want to (or charge to do your friends cars/trucks :bigokay: )

Here is what I would suggest to do professional job.

MATERIAL NEEDED
Looks like you'll need to order these online. Possible TCPGlobal.
Variable Speed Buffer (I would suggest Makita). --$220
3M 6085 compound (this will come in a quart size)--$35
3M 6096 (?) glaze--$30
Pack of 5723 pads--$30
Pack of 5725 pads--$30
Micro fiber towels
A good wax (I like NXT)

Step by step
wash and dry truck.
Use the 6085 compound with the 5723 pad at about 1800-2000 RPMs
Do the complete truck
Wash and dry
Use the black glaze and the black pads at about 1600-1900 RPMS.
Wash the truck one more time OR if you didn't sling the glaze all over, you can go straight to wax.
Wax one panel at a time. Wax the complete panel. Then use the micro fibre towel to wipe it off.
When you wax, if it does not look new, you did not do one of the above steps correctly or long enough

This should bring it back to new condition if your paint job is good to start with AND your clear is still thick enough to do all this.

A few tips

• Be sure and do all the above in the shade on cool surface.
  • Hold the buffer at a slight angle except big flatter surfaces. normally on a roof or hood, I keep it flat. Be sure and use quite a bit of compound and glaze. Always make sure there is some on the pad and surface.
  • If you'd like to touch up the chips, do so a couple days ahead. Get a touch up enamel from a local auto parts store. Touch up the spot. Then you will need to wetsand this flat to match the surface of the rest of the paint. You'll need about a 1500 grit piece of wetsand paper. Use a spray bottle and spray on the surface and the piece of paper. if done correctly, you'll have a sanded area in which you should not see the chip any more. The key it to build the enamel TU higher than the rest of the surface. Then you will need to sand this flat. Be careful though. You can go through the paint depending on a number of reasons.
  • Any scratches that cannot be buffed out, you may be able to use the same piece of 1500 grit paper to wetsand it out before buffing. anytime you wetsand an area, you should use a squeegee to remove excess water. Any imperfections will remain wet.

Be careful on all the above. You have a 10 year old paint job you are dealing with

Let us know how it goes!

califabricator

After extensive research on the website you forwarded , I looked online and looked at different tool sites to see if I could get the tools and the compounds locally. One place sold me the Makita and another place sold me the 3M compound. This is what I have on hand. Now...only to find the time to do it. The 3M rep said to use water with the buffing pads and also said this is all I would need for a "kick ass" shine.
- Any tips on what I need to do next?
- How long should these pads last? Or should I order more before I get started?
- Do I need a detail solution in case the compounds dry before I work them?

Now I need to give thanks for what I am about to do. The bumper and spoiler need paint, I will be needing to set up to paint shortly.
Question: on my hood and on other various places there are spots where touch up paint have been used, will this set up that I have take care of those, or do I need to wet sand?
Also on the hood, it appears there was a bird dropping that stained the hood. Not very big, but needs attention.
When I do a test section, I will post pics of the bird dropping stain, and the test section.

Please advise.
V/R
Sgt. Cruz

c772cf8a.jpg
[/IMG]

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You might need one more 5723 pad (white pad). Can't tell if that's one on the right side. Looks blue, but probably a reflection. Normally the pads come in packs of 2. If so, you should be all set.

Do the complete truck in the white pad, but do one panel at a time. Don't pour compound over the complete truck to start with. It will not dry before you are done. If done correctly, most of the compound will disappear.

Water will not work correctly.

When you say 'touch up' I assume you meant brush touched spots. If so, you can wetsand these before buffing to make them even with the surface. This will give those spots a better look once they are buffed.

califabricator

Can i go into the paint store and ask for a specific touch up paint incase I need some more and can you recommend wet sanding paper grit ?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you need to go to the paint store instead of an auto parts store, you can just get a pint of black enamel.

It would be the same grit mentioned for the auto parts store paint (1500)

califabricator

yes.. ask for a pint of black enamel and brush it on, im assuming with a small brush. i dont think auto zone carries 1500 grit sand paper. but ill check.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You can always just use the corner of a paper towel (or similar) to brush in the paint in the chip.