Pictures of the repaint of my custom hardtail

rex

No problem you're fine.You really don't need to mess with the tack coat deal nowadays.That used to be a thing with the enamels and some of the polyurethanes like Imron because they stayed wet so long that first coat could slide before it got a good bite into the sand scratches.Actually if you try it with bases and it comes out real dry you can actually hurt the adhesion.Later buddy.

Jim

Rex,You said before that touch up on laquer was easy,Do I have to scuff it?Will it blend?I saw a couple of spots I'd like to hit again but I'd like to just use the airbrush.also the dash meets a piece on each side that's about 2in wide,do I need to mask the dash or just blend it in?thanks,Jim

rex

I didn't really think about it before but the best way to blend it is with buffing.You'll have to scuff it with something fine like 1000 or so or maybe even a white scuffpad but I've never tried one.In the area you'll blend it rub it with fine compound to put some really fine scratches in it.Spray the area you want till it's covered then add a little more reducer for the last coat so the mist on the edge is finer.At this point you could just buff it but in oyur case you'd want to burn the edge in by misting a slower reducer over it.The problem is going to be it's likely you'll see a gloss difference on the blend.I completely forgot about this part of it.It would actually be better to scuff the whole part and recoat it.If there is a place to tape off a break like the dash and side piece it's better to tape it off.Another option is scuff the whole piece and blend out the color in the spot you need and lacquer clear the whole thing.Sorry about forgetting the touchup glitch.

B

big stinkie

Chop

Hey! Nuttin' wrong with yours. It's great looking ride. Wish mine had that much of a rake on it. What kind of frame you using? I've seen some weld-on hard-tail sections for stock frames, but can't tell just what you have. Plus, I'm no expert. Only been fooling with bikes for the last year or so. Hard-tails simply look cool!

Yep, mine is from MCWorx. It's a 200 series tire. How'd you know about MCWorx? Just curious. They're getting a pretty good reputation. They've even sold a couple turn-key bikes and a few rollers to some folks in South America. Go figure.

They have been real good to me there. I've spent a few bucks with them, but even with that in mind they've helped me out a lot. Good folks.

Gonna ride mine to Sturgis this summer. About 800 miles. Probably won't be able to p@@p when I get there, with my hind quarters all hammered shut, but it will be a riot anyway.

Keep your eye on your bike, too. In that picture there was some shady looking character standing by it, and he looked like he might want to swipe it. ;-) Just kidding!

Later,

Andy aka Big Stinkie