Passing on Skills

Vettra

Have you ever noticed that when someone is really good in their craft or profession they tend to share their expertise with others? I have been thinking about that lately and was wondering what it is that makes this phenomenon so prevalent. Think about it, they have spent a lot of time either in school or in real life practice, honing and perfecting the very skills that made them successful. So what is it that that makes them wants to in effect provide a shortcut to those who are in the learning stages of the field?

My theory approaches this practice with a broad view and is as old as time. Where would we be now if the basic skills of construction, art and design were not passed down by the craftsmen that developed and built the Parthenon, coliseum and aqueduct? The engineering tolerances in the columns alone are a feat unto its own. But let's reel it in just a bit.

As I have researched and studied the principals of the mentor/protégé principle, it is my belief that passing on the skills learned is wired into our DNA. Without the transmission of these techniques the less learned would spend a great deal more time re-inventing the wheel and less time actually producing the very product or service of their intent.

One somewhat sad yet comical offshoot of the mentoring process is this- Watching those that are less skilled and trained. They seem to be very insecure in just where they fit into the overall scheme of things. Instead of sharing information with those that are just starting out, they tend to hide what little they know in fear of sharing information with those they feel could end up being their competition. These types are very insecure and are very easy to spot.

As I close I would like to raise my glass and say thank you to those that have shared their skills with me in the past present and future. I would also like to encourage you to be the one that shares what you have learned with those starting out. Who knows you can be training someone who could eventually build the 21st century version of the Parthenon.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Vettra, your article reminds me. When I was a kid. Standing at some rod show and watching a striper,pull his magical lines. I re call asking him what kind of paint he was using. As all the lables had been removed from the can. His reply was that it was special paint. Asking him again what kind of brush he was using,his reply was the same. In those days most of the custom information was deemed to be a black art. I have never really forgotten those comments. Nobody was going to give up their secrets.
Well times have changed. I guess largely in part to the internet. Seems everyone is producing videos,books,brushes etc. You name it, it's out there. But still there are some that will not help the newbie at all. Yet for myself, I have come accross this a few times since that episode at the car show. But in large most have been very free with their skills and information. So Yeah, raise those glasses to the people that are willing to share their skills and knowledge. You also mentioned about the fear that some may have,in that they fear competition. For those people. I hope that some newbie does come along and does have the vision for a new Parthenon.