Painting?

J

Jarremay

I'm attemting to do a custom paint job on a set of harley tanks. I sprayed the base and then pearled the tank. I applied two coat of PPG clear. Can I sand the tank with 1000 grit,and then lay down my flames. I planning on spraying the whole thing with a silver pearl and then a clear coat. MY question, do I need to sand first with 1000 grit or I can eliniate this step till I done with the final coat of clear.Does anybody know what the silver pearl will do to the effect on the paint job? I new at this. Joey

T

TAZ

If I understand you correctly, you have paintied the tank a "white pearl" as the base, then you have cleared it, so now you are ready to flame it. So you are asking if you need to wetsand it before flaming or after?!

If the above is what you are doing, you will need to wetsand the tank first, then layout your flames, spray the flames, then pull off all your tape, then clear the complete tank.
If this is not what you wanted, let us know.

Also, as far as a "silver" pearl, this would basically turn out to be a "metallic" since it is silver. I would suggest using another pearl such as red, blue or violet. You can get these toners at your local automotive paint supply store.
Scott