Painting Plastic??????????

Rifter

I've built a really extreme...Golf cart...I've got PPG Deltron base and clear and I'm going to flame it, just for the heck of it I started looking for advice on painting plastic, some say use a plastic promoter and some say you don't have too, I've taken this thing down to bare plastic because of UV degradation on the plastic and the paint that was on it. So is the PPG primer not going to be enough or should I go buy some of this promoter? Please help, I thought I was ready to paint this thing today but now????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif

00Alex

Its been my experience that you can never tell beforehand if you have a 'paintable' plastic or not. It would be a shame for all your hard work to start flaking off in a fortnights time for the sake of a few dollars of promoter, and the few minutes it takes to apply it ???? Play safe guy, you know it makes sense !!!!!

A

alienboy

Just a little advise from a hard lesson learned while painting plastic.....DO NOT USE LAQUER THINNER. Trust me, hehehe

T

tcmustang

I HAVE PAINTED SEVERAL GOLF CARTS. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY ARE ALL MADE OF THE SAME SUBSTANCE, BUT IT IS NOT PLASTIC. I CANTACTED THE MANUFACTUROR AND WAS TOLD THE ONE I WAS WORKING ON WAS POLYCARBONITE. TREAT JUST AS YOU WOULD A BUMPER COVER ON A CAR

AFTER STRIPPING, WASH WITH DAWN DISH WASHING DETERGENT, RINSE SEVERAL TIMES WITH WATER, LET DRY OVERNIGHT.

WIPE DOWN WITH WAX/GREASE REMOVER, OR ALCHOL, PRIME, PAINT, CLEAR.