painting pinstripes vs pinstripe tape??

gtc73

ok, don't shoot!!!! HANDS UP!! I come in peace. :) Guys I know there's talent and steady hands out there that pinstripe BEAUTIFUL WORK....seen it, watched it being done, TOTALLY IMPRESSED.

How bout the old guy with the eye and hand that's not as "steady" as it used to be. Are the pinstripe tapes that are made these days even worth the effort? are they thin enough to not require 2 gallons of clear to cover it? do they even hold up well to clearing over it?? names? brands? websites?

thanks all!!!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
:haha:

If you are just doing straight stripes or slightly curved stripes how about trying Pinstripe stencil tape.
I've used Finesse, but I know there are others.
You can adjust the points to your liking.

JT Airbrush

I'm a pinstriper and I still use Finesse pinstriping stencil tape for certain jobs. Great stuff. Btw, if you're clearing over the stripes, use a urethane striping paint. If you want to stripe on top of the clear, I would use 1 Shot enamel paint. Here's a link to Finesse: http://www.finessepinstriping.com/

gtc73

Can this be used to bend and create curves or things like outlining old school hot rod flames, or is this more for straight lines?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you are just doing straight stripes or slightly curved stripes it works good.
This will not get you the old school symmetrical type striping.

For outlining hot rod flames, you can use the 3M 1/16" fineline

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You can also mask around the stripes once you lay the stencils and just spray them

chopolds

Depending on the job, I use the pinstriping masking tape for the long, or straight runs, then use fine line for the curvy parts (freehanding it, but checking with a small ruler). You can either spray or use a brush after masking. If you spray, you need to mask it off a bit more , perhaps some 3" paper, if you airbrush or use a quality jam gun.

1-shot slinger

You talking Pinstripe tape or Finesse With finesse nobody knows it was taped and could have been hand done . Tape is made for striping the car too but it is just not the same as paint Finesse or not. What is wrong with using Finesse ? Tape is so amateur is should probably not even be discussed here We are stripers with real paint !