Paasche VL

teddyr

I am not really new to painting, but have been out for a while. I want to start doing some custom work though, so I bought a Paasche VL airbrush kit. I have only practiced a few times, but when I used it the other day, color would spray out when I pushed down on the trigger. Being a dual action, it is not supposed to spray color until I pull back on the trigger. I took it all apart and cleaned it, and got out the directions to troubleshoot, but cannot figure it out. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, please send them my way. Also, the kit came with two other needles. Are these replacement needles or do they spray different for more detail? I would also like to know what is a good airbrush for spraying detail? Thanks in advance for any input. Anything at all will be greatly aprreciated.

BuellBoiler

VL

First make sure the needle is seated into the cap. When the control (button) is in its normal position the needle should be set fully forward into the cap. If not it will spray even bfore you pul back on the button for paint. Do not force the needle forward when setting or you may damage the tip.

The VL comes with 3 sets of needles and tips: #1, #3, and #5. #3 is the medium spray pattern with the #1 more narrow and the #5 a broad pattern (if memory serves me). I doubt you will want to use the #5 set for most detail work unless you are misting an area.

Good luck

ROWDER

:think1: :luck: it sonds to me like your needle is bent (ben ther don that) or the lock screw in the back is loose .cant remember wich one i have but u might have a #1 needle in the #3 or #5 cone

Last edited:

the_grider

What the others have said, AND check the tip, if it get's dropped, or hit, the needle can split the tip. Hard to see, but will do exactly what is happening to you. Will also cause an uneven spray pattern, just like a bent tip. I always have xtra tips! LOL

fontgeek

On the VL the problem is typically one of two things, and sometimes both, the nozzle and or needle are dirty, and or they aren't matched.
You need to make sure you have the right nozzle, nozzle cap, and needle in the brush at the same time. They are made as matched sets. Having a #1 needle in the #3 or#5 nozzle will make the brush spray improperly.
If you have a strong magnifying glass or a jewelers loupe, do a careful inspection of the fluid nozzle, both inside and out, look for any debris, scratches, distortions, splitting or splaying. If you see debris you can soak it in a bowl of solvent then proceed to flush out the debris. If it's split, scored, or distorted then you need to replace it.
On the needle look for bends or kinks. If there is a sharp bend or kink then you need to replace the needle, if it's a soft bend you may be able to straighten it out. NEVER use abrasives on any of the airbrush parts unless you are ready to replace it at that moment.