Orange ghost flames covered with red candy

Agastya

Hi,

I started a new project turning a cheap guitar into a nice customized one. I had in mind spraying the body candy red with subtle orange ghost flames.

The things I bought so far are:

a 0.5mm airbrush (dual action)
ruby red candy concentrate
orange candy concentrate
pearlized powder
a bottle of clear coat (glossy)

The base color of the guitar is white. This is what I had in mind how I should handle:

-sand with 600 gritt waterproof
-new base coat with autoair aluminium silver
-a clear coat to protect the base
-spray the flames with orange candy mixed with the pearlized powder
-spray red candy over entire body
-clear coat to finish

I think this will give the ghos flames effect but I'm not sure.

So therefore I would appreciate your help verifying if I am using the right steps to do this job.

Thanks

hoss

i don't think that it'll show up. the kandis are just going to blend together and maybe the pearl will show, but not much under a dark kandi.

what about spraying the silver down, then flaming it in a dark red or orange basecoat w/ pearl then kanding the intire thing.

or how about putting pearl in the red kandi after the above mentioned stratagee?

good luck, and do a test pannel!

Agastya

Hey,

First of all, thanks for your help. From your reply I understand that you're advising me to replace the orange candy flaming with a colored basecoat (either red or orange). Should I use a tranparent color for the colored basecoat (like the autoair 4200 series)? I suppose that if I want to have the "ghost" effect on the flames I should pick a similar color for the "flame-base" as the candy covering the entire body.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As soon as I get the missing pressure valve for my compressor I will start making test panels and post them.

Thanks!!

hoss

you are correct. i think that the orange kandi will not have the power to stand up to the red (after all, red is a part of orange) as for the 600 grit to sand w/, i wouldn't go under 800 grit before a silver or any light basecoat. the scratches of 600 might show through.

i like contrasting colors under kandi colors. this will make sure that it will stand out in a ghosty way. I'm just afraid that the orange will blend right in w/ the red candi. especially w/ the orange being a kandi w/ the silver showing through that.