One shot catalyst - hardener alternative?

ronan

Hello ALL,
Long time lurker first time poster :) I had a question if there were any alternatives to use as an alternative to 1shot other than there brand name hardener. The reason I ask is I'm on a tight budget and the hardener is about $40 for 16oz's, I know it only takes about 10% extra. I know enamels are picky most of the time what you add to them. I'm doing my best to stick to 1shot so not looking to move to HOK anytime soon.

However if there is anything else I could add as an inexpensive alternative I'd be interested to hear? I know in most cases there is no substitute for the same brand product(especially in the striping world it seems), but figure I'd ask. I did do some extensive digging on this one but couldn't find anything worth wild. Thanks for reading!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
We just add the one shot hardener. You could always go without it, but some clears have a problem with the enamel with no hardener. Have to be VERY careful when applying the clear.
We also like the HOK pinstripe enamels. A little more user friendly.

ronan

Thanks for the replies, somethings are just unavoidable so I'll start saving my pennies ;-) I'm also going to take a few tries at using various clears, fairly familiar with AB and rattle can clears. So I'll do some trial and error and see where I end up, thanks again.

Wayne390

Hi..new to the thread and first time posting. . I have only been pin stripping for about 3 monthsand have been practicing with One Shot. With One Shot I can lay down adesign 1 day and come back the next day and do a second color over thetop. When I make a mistake on the second color I have no problem when Iwipe the line out to correct the problem. I can do this whether the productis catalyzed or not. I have now been practicing with House of Kolor and Ifind that when I go over the first color with the second color and I make amistake with the second color I cannot correct the mistake without taking offthe base color that I am going over. This happens whether the product iscatalyzed or not catalyzed. Other than being mistake free, which for meis not possible at this point, is there some tricks you can advise me on.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a striper, but I've cleared over stripes. I'm surprised it's not the opposite. I always found it harder to work with One Shot versus HOK.
I really can't help you there. Hopefully one of the other guys can.
I had an inhouse striper that liked the "Finesse" striping line. I think that was the name. I know these dried fairly quick. I know their red was a nice vivid red to.