? on painting a motorcycle frame

G

guest01

I have opted to paint my frame instead of powdercoating it and I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as a spray gun? Would a touch up gun do the trick? or do I use a stardard setup with what tip? I am also considering a gravity feed gun? HVLP? Need your help before I drop the bucks as some of this stuff is expensive.. THANKS
confused.gif

rex

A detail gun will work if you're going a solid color,but it will spray everything else different enough to possibly to definately change the appearance of the metallis,pearl,etc.It will cut down on wasted material in overapray,but I don't think it's worth it.If you're going to get a few guns,HVLP is great for base,but I've yet to see one spray clear to my liking unless you want to do some heavy sanding of the clear.Gravity feed is the only way to go nowadays.My DiVilbiss with a 1.4 tip sprays base great,but on bike parts it lays down PPG's 2042 clear like glass,and this is the clear most likely to have peel since it dries so fast.2021 clear is even better.You should be able to find a gun for $300 or less that will do everything until you can buy more.You should have a gun for each substrate you apply.