Not sure if my startup is getting ripped off

marksanta

Hello,
I have a business that custom paints small 20 gallon steel drums. Our painter charges $50 for gold leaf lettering 4x12," $150 for airbrush flames about 6 inch high around the drum. For single stage we pay $20 to spray and supply our own paint.

One right now that is candy painted, gold leaf, & flames, they supply & charge for paint, is running us around $500.

I have 0 knowledge about pricing, so I'm hoping everyone will tell me that those charges are good or standard.

Thanks.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Actually sounds pretty decent to me.
There are some other variables that should be mentioned.

Is the goldleaf pinstripes on the outline?
Does he make the stencils for the lettering?
Is he supplying the goldleaf.
Is the candy a true tri-stage candy?
Is all the work clearcoated?
Are the painter doing the prepwork

I would think materials alone including candy would run approx $100 each
I assume he is clearcoating and resanding before adding the flames and goldleaf work. Then reclearing again.

I don't know any other way to do the work without doing it this way. Otherwise some candy's (most) will 'bleed'

Do you have any pics?

marksanta

Thanks for help Taz.

The price breakdown they just gave me was $100 body work on this small drum & $150 supply cost for the clears, candy paint, airbrush, and bondo for body work.

Gold leaf was gonna be $50 for the material & application for about 5"H x 10"W phrase.

JT Airbrush

I do the type of work described here: airbrushing, gold leafing, hand lettering, etc. and these prices seem very reasonable as long as the quality of work is good. Quality work is the most important thing as nice work will sell these drums for you.