non-solvent based options?? LOW to NO VOC paint

gtc73

Good day all!

Don't get me wrong. I am not out to save the world, but my lungs and health.

So after painting down in my small spray booth over the past 3-4 winters, I would like to consider OTHER options for the types of paints I am using.

So whats the skinny on SAFE PAINT these days? is there such a thing. And I'm talking automotive paint base, pearls, candys and clears? who's got the products out there for me to research and consider trying.

I see PPG has a product call Envirobase. I'd appreciate some tips and thoughts alone these lines.

Can I paint my bike next winter with a product that will not threaten my life?? :)

thanks gang!

Wydir

I have an Envirobase system but the only thing thats waterbased is the base only you still use solvent primer and solvent clear

gtc73

Well, thats a start I suppose. cuts down on the overall VOC exposure??

In the end though it seems to me that the clears tend to be the killer....fogging the booth, then sitting around curing. Maybe I need a bigger CFM exhaust fan for my small 6' x 12' paint booth. right now using a 300cfm, works well with the bases....but those dam clears still tend to hang around in the booth and takes a little longer to disipate.

chopolds

While using safe paint is not necessarily a bad thing, using the proper PPE (personal protective equipment) is the reeal answer. Shoot suit, vinyl gloves, head covering, perhaps goggles, and most important, a great respirator, or better yet, a forced fresh air mask. THAT is what will protect your health!

gtc73

Wow,
I am getting worried now.
I have been wearing just a simple filter base resperator. I'm beginning to feel that the DIY'r can't really afford$$ to do it the right way.

I say this because of the costs associated with all the personal protection needs, then the booth itself. I've been spraying in my basement now for like 3-4 years in my own DIY booth. My wife and sons have noticed the smell in the house in general even know I have an exhaust fan and the booth is enclosed in poly. I think I am going to finish up what I am doing this year, and step back and consider the costs of doing this the right way. Otherwise, this may be my last year doing this.

I explained to the wife I need to move the booth to the garage and in order to do it "safely" I need to spend some money. The problem is, she doesn't want me to give up my hobby, and wants me ALIVE!!! but doesn't want to spend the money.....so decisions and discussions must happen.....

DAM!!!!! was does so much fun have to be so dangerous....

While using safe paint is not necessarily a bad thing, using the proper PPE (personal protective equipment) is the reeal answer. Shoot suit, vinyl gloves, head covering, perhaps goggles, and most important, a great respirator, or better yet, a forced fresh air mask. THAT is what will protect your health!

gtc73

Looking for some advice from you pro's out there.

So for the sake of ME 1st and my health, and of course the PLANET and my neighbors, is there a good system, or a combination of waterborne base/clear coat I can research.

I'd like to consider several options to use a much lower VOC then what I am using today. Also can someone just give me a little tutorial on VOC's and how they are figured out, ie, when we mix clear and activator together, are we in affect adding the VOC's of both elements to total a higher VOC?

As I read more about VOC's, i see it's rated per gallon correct? so if I mix up a qrt of base which is 1:1 ratio, do I add the 2 element voc's and then divide by 4??
Just want to know more about the chemicals I am playing with. Been doing this for 4-5 years now, and well, I have been assuming TOOO much....

Wydir

VOC caculations are not to cut and dry like you have it and I do not know the formulas for figuring out how many VOC's are in my products (I rely on the TECH Sheets for that). when painting with Waterbased products you would pay attention to the ISO's they are the reason you can no longer wear a respirator and now have to have a fresh air supplied mask.