Newbie wanting to learn bodywork / paint

N47

Hi I’m quite good with spanner’s and have been working on my own cars for over 10 years. I’m looking into painting / bodywork.

Mehta would be the best way to lean, I have access to a workshop with extractor fan good lighting etc

thanks

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I had never heard of a spanner so I looked it up. I guess that means a wrenches.

Anyways, really the best way to learn is to get a entry level or apprentice position with a local bodyshop and work your way into it. Observe how the pros do it. Of course back when I started there wasn't the internet so now you can look at videos and forums to also help you out.

Although you can just dive in at your shop but it's hard or unless you spend a lot of time online. Even at that it would be tough

Bodywork, prep and painting are fairly easy when things go as planned, it's when the don't that a noob would have a problem. So it's good to have the 'pro' nearby to help out.

I started in a tech school, then went co-op which meant I went to school half day and real world work the other half. I did the co-op thing near the end of the school courses

N47

Thanks for the reply

I have access to the basic setup and have some friends in the trade who can help out.
do you think practising on old damaged panels will help along side some online videos

thanks

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That will definitely help. Maybe visit some body shops that have some fenders, doors, or bumpers out front or back and ask if you can have a few.