New to the board with a new project

rod1701

I picked this up recently. Car sat in the desert baking in the sun for over 20 years. At some point someone hosed it down ad shot red oxide primer. Owner passed away. His buddy got it, pulled the inline 6 and 3 on-the-tree and installed the 409/4 speed he had in his shop. Interior is about as plain Jane Biscayne as you can get.

Body finish....I like the rough and unrefined look/sound. So want to leave it a little crispy. Under the is turquois color. Very nice color but not planning to strip this thing down. Preference is to do a faux-patina similar to the white car pictured. Interior is 2 tone gray with red carpet and piping. The turquois would be a cool color to "distress" but not go well with what is already there. Looking at a silver or gray color for the exterior.

I did this patina look on a truck using a method similar to Kevin Tetz using Dupli-color premixed stuff. The look turned out like I wanted but everything left nicks, rock chips, or imperfections ion the final product.

Big question here is which paint do I use? Looking at the Eastwood economy single stage vs. Hot Rod Flatz. Everything says don't sand the silver/metallics. Or don't use single stage. If its not shiny, I don't care, thats not what I want. Because in the end I'm going to partially sand through it for an aged look. Not going to clear it when its done. Personally shiny clear on an old car looks like someone is trying too hard to have new and old. Just need something durable. Should it be just a urethane base coat, do my sanding and let the sun keep baking it? Or single stage and sand it?

Attachments

• 61b.jpg
    61b.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1961-chevy-biscayne-2dr-flat-top-patina-red-interior-hotrod-ratrod-belair-impala-4.jpg
    1961-chevy-biscayne-2dr-flat-top-patina-red-interior-hotrod-ratrod-belair-impala-4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2

Street rider

it really is an old cool car. leave the red primer on and paint some old looking rust areas in silver and then candy them in rust and brown and black like fake patina.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't use a single stage as you can't work with it like you'd want for a patina. It's also thicker than a basecoat which will also make it harder to do sand throughs.
You'll have to sand the red oxide, spray a light coat of the color you want as the topcoat which would be the teal or the white. then do you sand throughs. You will have to clearcoat though as basecoats are 'delicate' and won't hold up good in weather.
I personally like matte finishes on patina jobs.

You can see a video I did on a Suburban I had.
I HAD TO do somesort of paint job since whoever put the gray primer coat on didn't sand it well before spraying so it was peeling off all over. So I ended up stripping the car to get it back to par. I could have just painted it in a regular color but wanted to do a patina paint job. Though I've done a couple on motorcycles sets, I've never done one on a car or truck.
I didn't want a real nice paint job on it, as all the trim was old and I didn't want to replace it or have it polished.

On the areas with the rust spots, I used HOK KK (a mix of candy tangerine and candy red).

Attachments

• patina-paint-job.jpg
    patina-paint-job.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-paint-job-06.jpg
    patina-paint-job-06.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-paint-job-05.jpg
    patina-paint-job-05.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-paint-job-02.jpg
    patina-paint-job-02.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-paint-job-03.jpg
    patina-paint-job-03.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-paint-job-04.jpg
    patina-paint-job-04.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-harley-paint-job.jpg
    patina-harley-paint-job.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 1
  • patina-harley-sportster-paint-job.jpg
    patina-harley-sportster-paint-job.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 1

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Patina is for bronze statues not rusty piece of crap cars that need paint
I always said if you can't replace the chrome, trim, glass, interior, engine, why make the paint look new, but not the rest.
I know some people think differently though.