New to Forum have some questions.

G

GTStang

Hi I'm an amatuer painter and have been doing it about a year now. All my information about painting has come through the owner of my local PPG supplier who also sells HOK. The guy is great and has been very helpful to me at all times and he has done some wonderful work. I bought my first gun without knowing very much. I don't like to buy things twice so I asked him what were some of his best guns. It was between a Sata and a Devilbliss. I ended buying a Satajet 2000 digital HVLP with a 1.4 cap.
I love the gun and never had any problems with it. But because I have never used any other gun except a low quality borrowed 1 for primer, I'm wondering is this a good gun and how does Sata compare to Devilbliss? cause I see Devilbliss over TV and at shops.

Osh

1.4 may be a little big but all in all you got a great gun.I see more Sata's in shops than Devilibiss

Osh

Bornhard

I own both and have a lot of good to say about both brands.
I use a Sata mainly for clearing only though. The one thing that I like about Devilbiss over a Sata is when you buy a Devilbiss there are a lot of extras in the box and parts for a Devilbiss are cheaper than a Sata. Newer Sata's do spray a fine spray though and I've enjoyed mine a lot.

rex

Satas are very popular and a very good gun,I'm just a DeVilbiss person.The Sata RP is also a great gun if you want to add another one to the toolbox.

G

GTStang

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm now looking for a second gun to use as my primer gun cause I don't feel like borrowing one any more. Any suggestion on what to buy for a good primer gun and what I should expect to pay?

Edit: Most of my work is doing cars.

rex

I've heard good about the new DeVilbiss (surprise) Finishline 3 from EZRider,and I think it comes with a 1.5 and 1.8 tip for I think mid $200.I'd use the 1.5 but it depends on your primer.For about $100 you can get an Iwata copy with a 1.8 tip but you have to choke the fluid way down or it'll shotgun the primer on fast and thick,guarranteed to run and sag.Seems to me someone made a primer gun for under 200 but can't recall.I prefer the copy guns because primer guns always seem to end up getting a less than perfect cleaning and that primer builds up inside fast.Use it for a while,detail clean it a few times and throw it away.We go thru one about once a year and this thing gets used alot.

LudicrousSpeed

I have a Sharpe model 675, and I bought it to use for overall jobs, but I now use it as a primer gun. It costs around $150, with a cup. I t does a nice job on bases and clears, and is a decent primer gun also.

It seems that I have a crap gun and a good gun. After a couple years, I buy a new good gun and the gun that "was" my good one gets moved down to a primer gun.

I did take it completely apart a week ago and clean it out really well. What a difference it made!!!!