New to Airbrushing need help

H

hutch82

Hey everyone hows it going? I have been on this board for a few weeks now reading lots of the information on here. I have a few questions I just got a Iwata Micron Custom B air brush. I have done some air brushin in the past but no graphics or free stuff really so I would really like to get into it. SO i have a few questions.
-Whats a good thing to practise on besides t-shirts???
-I went and got some createx Auto air paint
-first off i noticed it needs to be thinned out to air brush with it?????
Whats the best PSI for graphics????
-i have been practicing on poster boards, fiberglass sheets, and a old motorcycle tank. Now first i was using black and it doesn't spray really dark i thinned it out with alcohal. And unless I go super fast i spider webs so what all do I need to do and whats a good thing to practise on maybe i am doing something wrong here thanks for the help
HUTCH

D

DDG

The custom micron is no airbrush to use with the water base paints. The needle and nozzle are way too small.
The black looks light because of being thinned so much.
Try another airbrush like an Onmi3000. Very cheap, $30 or so. As far psi, with Createx use 30-40 psi.
Continue to use what you are with the Createx. Any hard surface will be good, don't use anything pourus.
Sign blanks from a sign shop work great and are inexpensive.

Dirt

H

hutch82

thanks for the fast post. So for that airbrush what is the paint that you would wanna use then?????? That would work the best????
-As for the sign blanks what type of stores sell those things I also live in ontario canada so Where would i get those and what are sign blanks really??????
thanks for the help
HUTCH

A

alienboy

look in the phone book for any business that makes signs and get them from there. A sign blank that is about 18x24 inches should run 6-10 US dollars. Ther are nice to practice on because when/if you use auto paint you can wipe off with laquer thinner and the sign is as good as new. I recommend getting a .4ml aluminum sign blank with the white powder coat finish. (Thats pretty standard.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

H

hutch82

Kewl kewl thanks for the help so now i just need to know what paint owuld be best for the airbrush?????? and what pressure with that paint to do fine lines and details thanks for all the help everyone this site is very helpful

D

DDG

For that brush use either inks, or automotive paints.
You can also try model paint. Thin it to their recommendations and as far as psi, 10-30 will be fine. lower the pressure, finer and slower you can go.

Dirt

H

hutch82

Thanks for the help I guess I am gonna try some auto paint I just got the Vince Goodeve video tapes and he has the same airbrush and used auto paints so i will give em a try
thanks

Bornhard

With Iwata Microns you can lower the air pressure down to 4-5 psi & get very fine lines. Microns are a pain in the ass though and I have to send mine in to get serviced by a real tech, so it's spraying properly again. I fix most of my airbrush problems on my own, but Microns are so precise and delicate. Iwata's Eclipse Deluxe series is a much better choice for most painters out there and you get some real good results. I got the Micron 'cause when I paint some of my mural work on bikes I've got my nose to the sheet metal & working in some tight details. Those Deluxe Iwata's spray hairline lines, but their internals aren't as delicate as a Microns'. Don’t get me wrong, there's nothing out there that will match a Microns' abilities. They are just a lot of maintenance and pricey to keep working properly.

As for the paint, you just have to over reduce auto motive urethanes a little more than normal when spraying with other airbrushes to get it to flow through a Micron or other fine detailed airbrush. If it's transparent that usually comes with the territory of over reducing, so that means you usually need to go over it again with another pass. With a low air pressure you’ll get results you want. Also with a Micron you have to constantly stop and gentle clean the tip of the needle off to keep it from spitting paint on your work.

Last Note: Vince’s videos are well worth the money and I believe Coast Airbrush sells them the cheapest. He does discuss painting with a Micron in one of his videos.