New (old) guy from Nj

chopolds

Hi all. My name is Mark Wojcik, and I live in Howell NJ. Been a builder of custom cars, preferably 50's style ones, but also have done muscle car and antique resto's. Been doing this for over 30 years, but still learning. My specialty is custom body fabrication, including chopping tops, and traditional 50's style work, and also custom paint. Used to be a member of the old Classiccar forum, as well as the one attached to woodgraining.com, and another one I forget, that went under, I think it was rodder.com.
Now just cruise the net, and post on the HAMB, a forum for traditional rods and customs.
Painted my first candy paint job in 86 using HOK stuff, the urethane, when it first came out. Before that, did motorcycles, and cars, in lacquers. Was taught custom paint by an older body/paint legend in central Jersey, John Pazsik.
Anyway, have done a lot of stuff, mostly part time, in my shop, but most importantly, in the last few years, I had a team of friends working in my shop, building a clone of George Barris' Kopper Kart. We played around with it for about 5 years, making a little progress, then we bought out another fellow's project, who was building the same clone, in Maine. We then used the parts from both projects, and turned on the steam to finish it in 16 months, and debut the truck at the AUtoramam in Detroit in 08. It was one of the most talked about cars at the show, eclipsing even most of the Ridller contenders, from what I hear. All that hard work, blood ans sweat finally paid off.
Now I'm building a custom 46 Chevy for myselfwith lots of original ideas, though using traditional methods, parts, and styling from the early 50's.
Hope to have fun, learn, and also help others out here!

scapegoat

Welcome aboard , I built alot of mild customs from the 50's also . They are fun for me cause I didn't live in that era . I live that era through my father . Working with him on these cars . My favorite is the 49/51 Mercs.

chopolds

Great! another custom guy...you're in PA, ever go to SledScene East in Gettysburg with your dad? I've been to every one since #1. My chopped 55 Olds even won the Barris Pick in 2003, and the Kart took Grand Champion of Customs in 09! I'd probably remember your car if you brought one.

scapegoat

Yes I was there many years ago . My dad sold his 50 Merc that day . He had it for sale and some guy walks up looks at the car . Doesn't ask any questions , just keeps looking . Then he asks how long are we going to be there . He went home and got the cash . Nobody ever expected that to happen so fast . However the car was nice . 2 dr , red metallic , custom grille . shaved door handles , frenched lincoln tail lights with a small block chevy motor and trans .