New guy, some questions on colors, candys...

Flipper35

OK. I like the color on the 3M Wicket automotive wrap but I want to paint in stead of wrap the car. I have not seen any factory colors and the body shop guy used a guy from his paint supplier for all his custom colors because he could look at something and know how to mix it. That guy has just passed away. Let me lay out what I am looking for and you guys point me the right way.

This is going on a Cobra replica.

As mentioned, I like the 3M Wicked as it is a very dark blueish purple/black depending on the light. It isn't a significant color changer like some, but it can get somewhat like the Mclaren Amethyst Black or the Viper Stryker Purple in the sunlight. Any clues as to how to match that color? I also want ghost stripes where the normal white ones would go. The reason I started looking at the wrap is I was told by several "experts" that candy colors do not hold up well over the years. I actually had some samples and applied them to the car and that is how I found I really like the Wicked color. I don't want much red to the color, I guess more of a purplish blue or blueish purple.

So, color code ideas? Candy, pearl? Does candy last if we go that route? Different pearl for ghost stripes, correct?

If I don't reply back right away, I will be out for a while. Will check in by Friday for sure.

Thanks.

(The color I am looking for.)

3m-1080-gloss-wicked.jpg

chopolds

With custom paints, there are usually different ways to get the results. I believe the easiest way to get an effect like that, would be to paint the car black, then put a midcoat of blue, or purple (or even a mix of both) Pearl over it. Then regular clear to protect it. The car will appear black, but will glow blue or purple when the light hits it at the right angle. In sunlight it will glow with the Pearl colors.
Now, doing this, you'll have to do test panels, to get your mix of pearl to clear right, and the right amount of coats to achieve the effect. Too much pearl, and it may look cloudy, too little, you won't see the effect enough.
The Pearl I'm talking about is NOT the color mica flakes mixed into colors. It is "interference" pearl, or in old terms, "Flip Flop". The pearl looks just like grayish dust in dry form, until you mix it with clear (you can use an intercoat or jamb-in clear, not a final clear for this). HOK sells it in different colors, others probably do as well.

Flipper35

Thanks. I asked that question through the HoK "contact" page since I do't have any local dealers here and they never responded back.

So in this case to leave the stripes I would paint the whole car black, mask the stripes and put the midcoat of the color on, remove the mask and clear everything? Almost the opposite of how you would do ghost stripes? Assuming I want the stripes to stay black of course when you see the dark plum color.

chopolds

Yes, if you want the stripes to be straight up black, that's what you'd do. Though in the dark, or shadow, the stripes probably won't appear at all. Then when light hits the hood, they will pop up.

Flipper35

That is pretty much what I would like. The 3M looks almost black on the car unless you are in direct sunlight, then it looks like the picture above. Thanks. Looks like I need to find some bluish purple mid coat pearl now.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
With a dark color like this you should be able to make it up.
Like Chopolds said, if you want black stripes, you can do the black base, mask up what you want to remain black, then spray the rest.

If you have a piece of the Wicket, take it to a local body shop supplier and see if they can get a formula from it using the camera to match.
If that doesn't work you can always start with a stock color like this Nissan color and tint it to your liking.

Flipper35

Actually, the Stryker Purple on the Viper is close, just not as dark as I was looking for. Sounds like it is on a light base coat so it might be just right on a black base.

dsc_1112.jpg