New at custom painting, please help!!!

P

prohockey13

ok, this is what i am working on, a 92 dogde truck with the original paint job still on it, and i wanted to add a few custom graphics, but i don't want to have to mess with the original paint job(in other words, repainting the whole truck, then adding the custom graphics), i just want to paint over the original paint. i have an airbrush, what brand of paints paints and clear coat should i buy ? can i just spray the graphics and clear coat right over the original paint job on the truck? what order do i do everything in, base coat?, sanding?, clear coating? sorry i am new at this, thanks for your help

T

TAZ

Hello PH,
Yes, you can spray over the original paint if it is in good shape.
First you will need to prep the paint.
1)Use a good grade wax and grease remover on all panels you plan on spraying the graphics on. DA (dual action sander) these panels that you are going to spray the graphics on. I suggest using 600 grit, then use a gray scotch brite pad on the edges.
2)Blow off these panels real good.
3) Mask off these panels as though you are going to completely spray them.
4)Layout, mask and spray your graphics.
5)Remove all the masking paper you used for the graphics.
6)Check the panels to ensure you did not get any graphic spray on the panels (outside the graphics). You cna easily remove any of these area using a little reduder.
7)Wipe down the complete panels with a *mild* cleaner (lie PPG D837). Make sure you use a *mild* cleaner or it could ruin your graphics.
8)Blow and tack the panels.
9)Spray your first coat of clear and let it tack
10)Spray a second, let tack, then a third.

I would suggest using the PPG Global line. You will need a gallon of medium reducer, wax and grease remover, D837 cleaner, 893 clear and hardner. tack rag, 600 grit DA paper.

This should get you going!