Need some advise/opinions...

P

PeteRambo

I need a bit of advise concerning the level of difficulty when dealing with Kameleon kolors. I am fairly handy, but have never used a spray gun. I am currently doing a serious custom job on my motorcycle and would like to do the paint myself with something very eyecatching.

I've considered some solid Kolors with a natural marbelizer over them, but keep looking at the Kameleon Kolors. My only real fear is the cost of the paint, otherwise, I'd dive right in. On the otherhand, I don't want to get experience with one type of paint so I can tear it apart and paint it again in six months.

Will a pint do it? (I'm painting frame, tank, four fenders, and a few accessories...) also, If I buy a gun what is the best for my money considering I may not use it a whole lot in the future?

Oh, can ghost flames be done with the Kameleons, and if so, how do they look?

I have read this site entirely, several times, and a number of other sources. I've learned alot. Thank you Scott!! (BTW, have you ever considered selling some basic paint systems... i.e. matched b/c, colors, c/c, reducer, etc? Offer several color options with a specific gun recommendation. It sure would simplify the homework for us rank amatuers.)

Thanks,

Pete

T

TAZ

Whether it's House of Colors (Kameleon), PPG (Harlequin), Glasurit (Extreme)...they all spray pretty much the same, but each of these have different color changing combinations, so you may want to check prices and avail. colors other than HOK Kameleon colors.

The most common method is to spray a black base, then spray the paint over it. Just don't put it on too heavy. I would guess a quart should do you.

I recently did ghost flames using PPG Harlequin and it came out excellent. I used the DH 991 (Magenta to Gold). Sprayed it over a black base.

TIP: If you do the ghost flames, do not spray alot on. Do a test panel before doing the real deal.

I personally use a GEO HVLP and a Devilibis JGA. Plenty of guns to choose from.

I had given thought to selling some pearl that was setup already for ghost flames, and some other cool colors, but right now I am super busy running 2 websites, doing paint jobs and working a full time at a dealership b/s so adding anything else at this point and time would be pretty overbearing.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Scott F ]

G

guest01

this is probably the dumbest thing thats ever been posted on this board but what exactly is PPG Harlequin...im looking into doing ghost flames on my car ...it has a red base would harlequin look good on it ?

~kevin~

P

PeteRambo

Scott lists several different brands of paint that "change color" depending on what angle the light strikes them. Harlequin is one of the trade names. If looking for this type of paint, see them all. Some change MUCH more radically than others.

Pete