Need some advice.

S

Sole

Hi all
I am planning on buying new airbrushs and I would like your opinion on them if you have used them.They are the Iwata HP-C/the HP-B-C and the w-100 for the basecoat clear coat.
I'll just be painting motorcycles with them,muralsand flames. THanks for your advice.
Sole

T

TWISTED

The HP-C is my workhorse. It is capable of detail and wider spray patterns, perfect for ghost flames and fades. If you are going to be doing murals with a lot of detail you may want to consider a custom micron. It can do very fine detail.

D

DDG

I too use the HP-C for all of my mural work, as well as shadows and slight fades on flame tips. As far as detail on murals, you can achieve awesome details with it once you get used to how it works and thinning down your paint properly and adjusting air pressure. I have been wanting to buy a custom micron for a few years now but because of cost ($265) and the amount I'd use it, VERY, VERY rarely it just doesn't seem worth it. Maybe someday I'll splurge and buy it. I would recommend that you don't but one
right now. Wait until you get used to the HP-C.
Anyway, how often are you going to be spraying hairlines? Probably not very.
If you want to save a $100 you can get a HP-BCS for $74 instead of the HP-BC.
They both are bottom feed but the HP-BCS can spray up to 2", better for fades and backgrounds on murals.
As far as the W-100, I'd get the 1.5mm conversion for spraying bases and clears.
Good luck with your purchases,
Dirt

T

TWISTED

Good point on the micron DDG. I don't use mine a whole lot but I had the extra money and wanted to spoil myself. The HP-BCS (eclipse) is one of the better airbrushes. They expanded the line last year to include a single action and double action bottle feed, and a gravity fed one called the eclipse auto graphics. They also sell a single action eclipse now. I have not used any of the new ones but have heard good things.
For a hobby painter a W-100, a HP-C, and an eclipse would be a great setup.

S

Sole

Thanks alot guys. I have alway used Badgers but I know nothing about the Iwatas. Is Coastairbrush the cheapest or is there somewhere else I should look?
Thanks again
Sole

M

Madskillz

I just bought the Iwata HP-C and I have painted a custom mural on the hood of PT Cruiser. I love the way it spayed both for detail and blending work. You can purchace it at coastairbrush, bearair. or at dixie art. I bought mine at dixie art and also got .02mm nozzle, crown cap and the preset handle. All together it came out to about $180. Not bad for a quality airbrush. I have a hard time putting the thing down now.

T

TWISTED

You can most likely get the airbrushes cheaper at bearair.com but I think the ones from coast already have the solvent proof seals. You will want these using the urethanes. The thinner used for cleaning will eat the plain seals pretty quick.

B

Burton

I have an HP-C and love it. I would suggest to get it at coast air brush just so they can put that Teflon needle bearing in, it costs 15.00 but its worth it. If the bearing wears out you will have to send it some where to have a new one put in which means down time. The HP-C is a good choice because you can get the .2 tip conversion and with the top loading you can get the pressure a lot lower then a suction (bottom) feed. Also I would suggest getting the HP-CS because it is a top feed as well and the .35 tip allows for larger flakes and thicker material before clogging. Another benefit of a top feeder is the ability to remix colors and thin the material in the brush as apposed to unscrewing the bottle and dripping paint every where.

socajun

i have 5 different airbrushes from crescendo (badger) vlst pro (paasche) but i like the 4709 aztek. it has nozzels that you can change fast and clean easy. i here the iwata is good with auto paints but can cause some problems. and parts are expensive. but people should use whats comfortable to them. and easy and what does the job. i do taxidermy and autos. i'm going to paint my bike tank soon as it gets warmer.

T

TWISTED

Ive tried the aztek. It's not comfortable for me. I like my Iwatas because you can feel them in your hand. They have some wieght to them.
I also had some problems with the tips on mine sticking. I try almost every new airbrush that comes out and still can't find one good enough to trade in my HP-C, Eclipse, or Micron.
As far as the bigger guns go I use Binks, Sata, and Iwata.

D

Donald

I just purchased an Iwata HP-SB airbrush. I don't know if this is any good. Waiting for it by mail. I want to do flames or graphics on my cycle with it. Didn't know I had to change seals in it tough. Is this a decent airbrush for a first timer and can I change the seals myself or do you need special tools. I also have another airbrush that I purchased way back when I was doing a little custom paint. It is a Sanborn 9501. I need a needle and tip but cant seem to find any parts for it. Ever hear of it?

T

TWISTED

The HP-SB is a decent brush. I like the preset handle on it. It helps keep you from getting a big blast of paint if your finger twitches. Never changed my own seals. You may already have the solvent proof ones depending on where you got it. Contact the seller and ask em.
As far as the sanborn you may want to check ebay. I think they still make spray guns.

D

DragonRider

I also have an Aztec that I am not very happy with. I find the thing to be inconsistant, and paint leaks through the needle at times when the needle should be closed. Not satisfied at all. Anybody want to buy it?