Need help with ghost flames

Spiritwolf

Plan on painting a C5 vette HOK brandywine and would like to have ghost flames.Would like to paint it with HOK MBC01ff pale gold over BC26 white then top coat it with UK01 brandywine.What would be the best way to do some ghost flames.Thanks for any help or ideas.

artworkbysteve

If i may give some advise! 1st putting kandy over white wont help your kolor you will have serios problems with coverage use black base or pearl this will help the effect of the flake and will be much deeper and ghost flames work best on darker back ground you can buy bag of flames thru house of kolor or eastwood co online or you can visit my webb page www.artworkbysteve.com you then can apply pearls or kamilion on top of flake i have done this it look very cool..........Steve

airartist

The best way to do this should be to first apply your Base color (Brandywine) then shoot a acouple of coats of HOK SG-100 or Clear and after that cures, scuff and tape off your flames add your gold ghost pearl to some SG-100 Intercoat clear or SG-150 pearl and flake carrier and shoot that over your base color. True ghost flames should almost be nonexistent until seen in the sunlight. If you shoot your kandy over your ghosting pearls they might get too lost. When you spray your ghost pearls be careful, it can be very difficult to see them before you put clear coat over them. This could lead you to putting on too much pearl. To test as you go, put under a light and lightly rub a small amount of water over a small area when the paint is dry. This will give you a good idea how they will appear with clear coat. You could also use House of Kolor post sanding solution (something 200?). It's a waterbased cleaning solution that allows you to preclean before painting or clearing without damaging uncleared paint. Good luck

artworkbysteve

Always shoot a test panel first so you know how many coats of kandy looks best and how the color will look depend on color ideas of you own or in our book First Remember when you paint kandy over white it dont look so well darker under coats will make a much better back ground for your flake and should be about 30% covered unless you love sanding and clearing many times!
Also you can not use Sg-100 or Sg-150 over wet uk you will have a serios problem if you do.. Sg-100 is for kbc or shimmering base coats kk base coats only or for protecting art work.... You can apply Sg-100 over (cured uk kandys), but always clear uk kandy with urethane clear first then you can go back and re-apply base if chosen to later after cured and properly sanded . You can use Hok, cleaner kc 20 waterbase cleaner do not use kc 10 on base as it will eat at the basecoat material or uncatilized material, good luck ....steve

Spiritwolf

I was looking in the HOK chip book and it shows the MBC01FF pale gold over BC26 white under brandywine.I liked the color and shade.With BC25 black under brandywine it was much darker than i was looking for.I do want to thank you all for your thoughts.Any ideas and hints are helpful,also if anyone has any photos of flames and a brandywine paint job would love to see them.

artworkbysteve

Cool! Remember! your the artist! The book is only a guide for ex-sample you can use orion silver instead of white look at brandywine over silver in the color book.
You can be creative beyond the book . have fun with it but remember ghost flames again show so well over dark colors.... the other thing you might try is ....... spray silver then tape out flames then shoot mbc gold flake base untape then candy over !This one way we did in the 70s .But to me the best is pearl over the kandy! have fun if you need any thing let me know!
By the way have you seen metal jewels yet?.........steve