need help beginner

foxy300

ok i am really new to this and i have many books and vidios on order but i like to get info from people who do this stuff, i am going to paint my 1987 300zx plus do some air brushing on it, i will practice for awhile before i try it on my car, i have talked to some people who are not experts and get all kinds of answers, what i want to know is when to air brush i will be using a b/c c/c system do i air brush after the base coating is done or after i clear coat, if i do it before i clear which makes sense to me how long can i wait to clear coat i figure the air brush work will take awhile to complete, thanks for all the info this is a great site

hoss

some people like to put down an intercoat clear after the base coat is layed down. this has a protection factor if you screw up your airbrush work. w/ this you can sand off mistakes w/o going down to your base coat. i usually just shoot right over my base color. you can clear between 15 min and 24 hrs after you spray it.

martin3294

In your case it would be advisable to put an intercoat of clear on before you do your airbrush work, I do this nearly always. Also depends on the base coat you are airbrushing onto, if it is a pearl base you would destroy the base coat by scratching the metalic pearls, also if a lot of artwork is involved you don't want to be taping directly over the pearl anyway. Always leaves marks and spoils the finish. By putting down an intercoat of clear you are safegaurding yourself. I have been airbrushing over 15 years and have yet to see anyones tape outs that havn't resulted in minor bleed throughs. Bleed throughs are not a problem with an intercoat of clear but are a serious issue without an intercoat. So in short always protect your work with an intercoat wherever you can.

martin3294

I am an airbrush artist and not by any means an expert on painting and clear coating panels, however I work for lots of bodyshops who contract me to do their artwork and I always insist on them putting on an intercoat before I will attempt any artwork. I am trying my hand at panel painting and clear coating my own work so I am also learning. Thanks fo the advice on my little touch up guns by the way Hoss. I wasn't sure if they would be any good for clear coating or not. I am only using them for custom work on motorcycles as I work mainly at clients sites where they have the bigger things like cars and pickups in a booth, then I have the luxury of them clearcoating over my work. I have been helping out with the detailing a bit lately, man it is hard work buffing.

T

TAZ

Hello,
Welcome to the forums.

You really should just clearcoat the complete car, then just wetsand the panels that you plan on doing the airbrush is on. This way, if you make a mistake airbrushing, you can wipe or wetsand the area off. This is especially helpful if you have a 'candy' base or a metallic basecoat.

Once you have your airbrushing done, then you can reclear the panels. They will match the rest of the panels on your car.

Then when all is cleared. Then you can wetsand and buff all at once.

:luck: