need help beginner

foxy300

hi my name is pat and i have alot of ? first one is can a big compressor be used to air brush i see all the airbrush come as set with compressor well i paint cars and have a compressor i am now wanting to try my hand in some air brushing thanks for any help there will be many more ? on the way as i want to get as much info as i can thanks

purplemyth

big compressor , I find it's better than the lil one I had been using.
Just get a regulator to go on the end of the hose, like the ones on the ends of the hvlp big guns. Mine has a filter also, that way, the gauge is handy and you can adjust it quickly. I sometimes have to give up the hose temp to do other work, (small at home garage/body shop) so this also keeps us from going back to main regulator to adjust back to full pressure.
have fun~

hoss

you definitly need a regulator. not just the one that you have on the gun, but one that is on the wall that you can regulate the air before it hits the gun's regulator.

here is why. if you have one of those small regulators it really doesn't stop the air, and all the pressure will run through your gun and then after the burst of air goes through your gun and spits on your paint the air will get regulated. this makes it hard to anticipate and controll.

if you have two regulators (one good one on the wall and one on your brush), it can regulate the air so that initial burst of air won't happen.

martin3294

I personally wouldn't bother running airbrushes through a large compressor, first off it's a pain messing around with the fittings size difference, secondly having to reduce the pressure each time you want to use it, then having to up the pressure and interupt the airbrush if you need to use the air for another tool, I find it much better to have a dedicated airbrush supply via an airbrush compressor. On a tight budget it is ok too use your main compressor and mess around like this but probably the cost of the fittings and the regulators as well as filters could go towards a dedicated airbrush compressor. Also for mobile work a small airbrush compressor is far more portable and essential to use on site. For professional useage a good Iwata studio series compressor is a good investment. You can run multiple air brushes off it also. I wouldn't be without mine and if your serious about airbrushing and learning to master it your going to need one sooner or later. One final point as Hoss pointed out unless you have an airbrush with a MAC control the initial air blast can really mess up a paintjob and spew paint out unexpectedly;