Need airbrush advice

C

Chopper

I'm looking to buy an airbrush to accent my paint jobs. I'm not an artistic dude by any means, so I'm not looking to do any pictures, graphics, or murals. I'm just looking to do some drop shadows, accent flame tips, etc. Will a cheaper airbrush kit (like one from a hobby shop or craft store) work for this? I'd rather not pay a fortune for one of the nice ones if I don't have to, because I don't think I'll be using it all that much.

thanks in advance,

Chop

T

travrt

The smaller the needle, the easier it is to get a finer line, if you don't plan on doing any fine lines, I wouldn't worry to much about what kind you get, I'd just stick to a name brand, something you can get parts for easily (which most are). I notice a big differance from going to a .35mm nozzle to a .23 nozzle! I can make a fine line with the .23 very easy, and I'm just beginning airbrushing. I've ordered a few airbrushes from www.coastairbrush.com and they state the Iwata HP-C is the same gun used by Craig Fraser. I have one on order now as is and should be recieving it this week. I have a micron C, which has a .23 nozzle and it's SOO easy to make a fine line it's not funny, and then I have an eclipse which is kind of a pain in the *** to spray a fine line, but it can be done, but it can spray up to 2 inches I believe, and the micron can't. coastairbrush also offers a teflon "Solvent Proof" needle bearing, which if your using harsh solvents is a nice little bit of insurance for the brush. I've heard of guys using the factory seals and being just fine too, they just clean them real good after each use. Hope that helps, any more questions just ask, I'm sure someone will be glad to chime in, specially if I'm wrong 8)

Travis

T

TWISTED

for drop shadows and tips all you'll need is something like an eclipse. It's about $80 at bearair.com. I use one along with the HP-C($120) and the custom micron ($250). If the $80 is more than you want to spend then you can find a Paasche VL for about $50. It should serve you well for what you need to do with it.
Whatever you decide on make sure it is a double action airbrush. This gives you seperate control over paint and airflow. Asingle action brush is like a regular spray gun, pull the trigger and it sprays.

C

Chopper

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear!!

Thanks guys!!

Chop