Need advice on what to do.

AllHailZoidberg

I recently had a paint job done 3 months ago on my motorcycle. It's only been ridden once on a 200 miles trip and was filled up twice. Within a month the paint has chipped (flaked) off in multiple areas, most of which aren't even in areas where road debris can hit them. The paint around the gas filler is also peeling as well.

For clarification I am very careful when filling up the tank and never fill it up to the brim. I had bought a new OEM gas cap before i got it repainted too so the seal is tight. I've also only hand washed the bike once, just a clean IMG_20220727_003420065_HDR.jpgIMG_20220727_003439176_HDR.jpgIMG_20220727_003507054.jpgIMG_20220727_003602269.jpgIMG_20220628_193804000.jpgwash mitt and a garden hose.

I reached out multiple times to the shop who did the work and they have fought me every step of the way, claiming they'll fix the body panels at my cost and it's my fault. They also told me to take a razor blade and cut off the peeling paint on the tank which I promptly said no to because that'd leave a noticable unfinished area around the gas cap.

I've so far made 3 trip there to get these problems resolved and haven't made any progress. What are the likely reasons that may be causing the paint issues I'm having and what route would you suggest taking from here.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
It appears a few of those images are showing a chip. Something hit hard against it.
As far as the peeling paint around the bung, since you mention that the cap is new and the seal is good, the only thing I can think of is that the bung itself is leaking. You don't see this often at all.
I also say this since the lifting seems to be coming from the area where the bung and tank come together.
You may want to pull the tank off and take it to a local radiator shop and see if they can pressure check it for you.
At least start there

AllHailZoidberg

It appears a few of those images are showing a chip. Something hit hard against it.
As far as the peeling paint around the bung, since you mention that the cap is new and the seal is good, the only thing I can think of is that the bung itself is leaking. You don't see this often at all.
I also say this since the lifting seems to be coming from the area where the bung and tank come together.
You may want to pull the tank off and take it to a local radiator shop and see if they can pressure check it for you.
At least start there
I've posted this at a few different places and had a handful of people suggest taking compressed air to the chips to see if they spread. They said if it did it'd be an adhesion problem with the paint. I'm not sure if that's necessarily true or not, but when I did blow on one chip it double in size with a quick burst of air.

And I'll take it to a radiator shop to get tested. The last paint job I had lasted 7 years without having this problem so that's why I'm kind of shocked that this has happened.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the problem went all the way to metal...
possibly you got that a little backwards. You put pressure to the inside of the tank and see if any of the bubbles/paint move or grow.
Better yet, take a spray bottle with some soap and spray it around the base of the bung, and blow compressed air inside of the tank and see if if the solution bubbles. If so, then you have a leak.
Of course all holes will have to be plugged good including the cap.
While your at it, with the same soap solution, I'd spray it around where the cap lays on the bung

Be sure not to use high air pressure

OR, just take it to a rad shop and let them check it out.

AllHailZoidberg

I wondered out to my shop to look at the sealing surface of being and compared it to an identical spare tank I have laying around. I noticed that there was pitting all around the sealing surface for the gas cap, while the spare was perfectly smooth.

It makes me wonder if they media blasted the tank and got a bit messy with it? That would also explain why my carbs were gunked with a dirt like substance after the first ride I took.

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_094809172.jpg
    IMG_20220809_094809172.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220809_101927712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220809_101927712_HDR.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220809_094809172.jpg
    IMG_20220809_094809172.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 2

JCCLARK

Paint failing around the gas cap on a motorcycle is a very common problem
with repainted tanks. I've read long written articles of this problem and how hard it is to
get the area sealed where the paint stops and the original tank begins.
Clear coat won't do it, something more is needed to seal the transition.
Some have had success with using epoxy glue around the transition.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Check your filter...hopefully you have one.
You may have a rust hole at the base or on the bung side