my eyes!!!!!

G

guest01

Did my first job on my old sporty! All went
well till the clear, im using 2021 ppg.
Thats stuffs bad news ! Its winter here
and got the garage warm and shut the heater off and did the first coat .Too many fumes
i guess cause my second coat left me with some peel and dry spots . Any body use the 2021? Great site! not me ! the flame page!
null

ezrider

concept is very tempramental,if you have peel and dry spots just wet sand and buff if you feel you have enough material (clear) on the paint job. if you dont think you have enough clear on scuff with 600 grit wet and flow coat (reclear) you might want to give PPG Stratoclear a try it is much more forgiving to your type of shop conditions if painting motor cycle parts use the fast hardner, in cold tempratures it only takes a couple of minutes to flashand it can be rubed the next morning.good luck

rex

I think the probs are more environment and application,but I'm not trying to put you down by any means.A few things could have caused this.This stuff is syrup compared to the older stuff,so you need a modern gun to break it up.I've painted who knows how much with the generic copy guns,but they aren't good for this thick stuff.These high solid products don't flow like the old stuff either.You have to put it on even,almost like you want it to look but even is the key.I think this is why it was dry and peely(not wet enough and uneven)but don't feel bad,tanks are tricky because the angle of the surface constantly changes as you try to keep an even overlap.The wrong hardner and reducer can cause probs too.Figure out what temp you want to spray in and get everything to that temp and maintain it as close as possible.Then match up the hardner and reducer.If they gave you cold weather stuff and you really warmed up the garage it will flash quick and not flow much more.I don't know if there is a specific cold hardner like the previous system(I quit production painting a few years ago and only do bikes on the side now,so I'm a little ignorant on the entire line now without looking it up).2042 might suit you better since it's a speed clear and the cold will slow it down some,but I find it's a little brittle for my liking.What are you using specifically for a gun,temperature,reducer,etc?

You do need to keep the overspray and initial curing fumes from settling on it while drying,they will burn and haze out the surface causing gloss dieback,but the texture of the surface-slick or peel-will not change.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: rex ]

S

Sole

I did a bike a week ago and cleared it with stratoclear also. Did the rear fender and the side covers first. Never used this stuff before and I sprayed it on to light and waited to long between coats. Then I painted the flames on the tank and front fender. when I cleared it I really put wet coats on and only waited a couple of minutes between coats. Sounds like I'm painting in about the same conditions that you are. Don't wait to long to wetsand and buff because it will really get hard. I only waited 24 hours,sanded with 2000 sandpaper and hand buffed it out.
Mike