My 1st Full Paint Job

LAKES

My car was painted in 1986 with about 4 coats of lacquer paint and about 6 coats of lacquer clear. The car has been in storage and needs a little body work. The paint is solid. There are no cracking areas. I do not want to strip the car down if all possible. I want to paint it with a base garnet red with ghost flames. What is the best clear coat system for a beginner and what kind of primer should I use? Does the car need to be totally primered? Also, what is the best spray gun on the market? I have only worked with an air brush in the past.
Thanks for all advice.

rex

If you don't intend to stay with lacquer you need to get rid of all the lacquer on it now.I don't care what they say to use for a sealer,don't topcoat it.If you want a nice job and don't want the maintenance,go urethane.Otherwise,sand it and add everything in lacquer.

LAKES

Thanks rex,
I was hoping that I wouldn't get an answer like that but better now than later. Sounds like you had a bad experience with sealing off the laquer to paint with clear coat. I hate the thought of stripping 10 coats of lacquer off
frown.gif

G

guest01

The Question is what type of paint are you planning to use. And how long do you want your paint job to last. it sounds like the mils are getting a little thick with what you described. And if your planning on doing body work why not strip the paint then go woth a filling primer. I use Dupont URO or House of Kolors KP primer. If you plan on keeping the vechicle a while then it will be worth the time and effort put in to it. As far a paint guns, remember you pay for what you get. I prefer Optima or Binks. They are a little high on price but worth it.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif