Motorcycle Tank Lip Seal

BeoBob

Looking for something to seal the lip of the filler hole on a motorcycle gas tank. A common failure point for custom motorcycle paint jobs is around the filler hole. Gas vapors get under the clear coat an d bubble the paint. I would like to prevent this problem. There were a couple of sites selling a product specifically for this. But they have both discontinued the product. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Red Kote or POR tank sealant. Mask off the area real nice with 1/8" fine line. Then add some insurance tape around that.
Then brush a nice coat of either of the mentioned around the edge of the paint and the lip of the bung.
Go up to the tape. Remove tape after about 5 minutes or so of curing.

txwayno

I think I remember a J. James show and he was talking about custom painting his tanks. I think I remember him saying that the trick is to not paint under the sealing surface of the cap. That way the gas is sealed off from the paint edge. You may look up one of the first two shows he did on Discovery.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That is a good thought to bring up.
Normally I about an 1/8"-1/4" off the bung throughout the complete process. If I prime the tank, I tape the filler off through this step, remove the tape while sanding to sand the edge down, then retape the same - about 1/8"-1/4" off the edge of the filler.
After the paint is dry, you'll need to cut around the edge of the tape with a razor before removing.
THEN you can tape off and seal the edge. I do this after wetsand and buffing

BeoBob

Thanks guys for the info. I currently have it taped back about 1/8th from the edge. Thinking I need to pull the tape, sand down the hard edge, and re-tape further back before I do base.