Motorcycle Parts Stand

ezrider

Rex, an easier way might be to make a Yahoo scrap book, very easy to do once your on Yahoo and its free thats what i did with the pictures of the red white and blue helmet i did. that way you up load the pictures just once. after they are uploaded just make sure you make the photo book, accessable to the public if you want to share the photos. after all is done just give the url and thats it.
bigokay.gif

T

TAZ

Rex,
Sounds like your files are going to be just to dang big for anything.
grin.gif

I use Adobe Photoshop for all my graphic and photo editing, but I used to use Paint Shop Pro which is an excellent inexpensive (compared to Photoshop) beginner program. You can read some tips on how-to edit (hey-what do you know, another Scott F How-To.
haha.gif
I did this back in about '99 ) photos. I also give a link on where to download Paint Shop Pro.

I usually try to keep photos down around 350 pixles width and a max of about 40 kb file size.

You can find the page here
Hope this helps!
Scott

S

sbCountry

No worries about the size of the images for me. I have a very fast Internet connection. I am just getting started in paint motorcycles and the other stand for fenders that was on the home page is wonderful I just completed a job on the lower fairing of a road bike and the stand was key...so am looking for the tank painting solution.

Thanks again,
Scott B.

rex

Thanx guys,I'll play with it tonight if I get a chance.SB,the tank stand I made is for a one piece and haven't had time to make a head for split tanks yet until I borrow a set of tanks.I'm still not sure of the design.I'll send the pix anyway and you can just delete them if they're not right for you.

rex

Got it,HA!Guess you can't do individual pix.Click the thumnail and above the larger pic you get you can click 'larger image'. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/shrppshuter/lst?.dir=/paint/stands&.src=ph&.view=
Pic 2 is from lt to rt is front fender,rear fender,one piece tank.#3 is a closeup of the tank head.The fender stands are basically the same end setup without the nuts and a piece of 3/8 fuel line a touch longer than the threaded rod to prevent scratches and privide grip.Sorry for the delay.

rex

Art,did they show up?I still need to make a head for split tanks but I need to borrow a set to make them.Then you just slide the head out of one base and replace it.The shop has a parts stand with 6 arms on it I use for 2 piecers but I won't buy one for $400.If this pic thing is actually working now I'll snap a pic of it.Easy to make but there's 12 sliding joints and conduit isn't sized that close and I'm leary about the strength,this ones made from pipe.Let me know if the pix showed up,I'm starting to think you need a Yahoo ID for them to work.The link in the Custom forum under 'Finally some pix' came up at work today but I had to log in to Yahoo before it would open.

rex

They work great but they do take a time investment.Scott's got the fender stands but I couldn't find them at the time.Still haven't made a Softail mount but it's coming soon.I've already been asked about renting them by my paint rep and a few others so if you see that option for your locallity,go for it.First 2 rentings should pay for the labor and parts.I spent about 6hrs builidng these but I was wasting the day away.4 hours tops I'd say.Let me know if you have any Q's and don't forget the previous post about the one piece tank problem.

M

Mick

The fender stands work great. Is there any modification to allow me to use it for 2 piece tanks??

T

TAZ

Mick,
For the flatside tanks, I usually hang them from the ole' coat hanger hanging from the top of the booth, then I spray the complete tank, then add a couple coats of HOK clear.

Then I mask up the backside of the tank up to the rear mounting bracket (then of course sand the tank so it is ready for graphics). Then I can lay the tank down to reclear after the graphics. So now you are reclearing the side and the bottom of the tank (the inside is masked up)
I hang these over the corner of a small table I have so I can get both the small "angled" front of the tank, and also the portion rear of the bracket.

Works just fine. No dry spray and very little edge. It is on the welded edge anyway.
Hope I explained this well enough.

Another tip is to hang the "smaller" end of the tank up (instead of hanging down). It's too easy to run the clear. Especially on the pointed stretch tanks.
grin.gif

M

mblong

just a little tip for you guys, habour freight has some stands like scott got at home depot for $17 two types standard two pole leggs and a more stable 4 legg type. both $17 they will work great....

C

chevyy57

love to see the pics on the head units..Im looking to build stands this weekend...Any help will be appreciated....Ron..

Edited...sorry no emails...thanks Ron!

T

TAZ

Ron,
Not for sure if you meant the head unit for the tank or the fenders, but you can find a how-to I did a while ago for the fender stands in the "How-To" section of the Flames Board.

By the way, I will use these to this day. I have about 20 of them now.

rex

I have to dig the pix up since they dissappeared of the link above.I'll try to find them by tomarrow night but I might have to take new ones.

flamethrower

Hey Rex,
don't work too hard on it. It ain't that important. Instead, have a beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink.gif Thanks for the offer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

T

TAZ

Funny how an almost 2 year old post can come alive again.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif