mixing pearls

D

drunken_munkee

does anybody know if mixing say a black pearl and a white pearl would be a good idea. im trying to create a dark dark gray for a ghost flame job. or does anybody know a paint that would do the job straight up. im kinda new at this so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks love the sight by the way

rex

Yea you can get grey from that but tint the black with the white.If you have plain ol' black and white make your grey a touch dark and then add the pearl,it doesn't take alot of it.If you need to adjust it add a little white or black.If it's a homemade deal,I start with a little more than I need of the initial color.By the time I get done I have enough to do the job again in case I need to touch it up or redo it later from an accident.Document as much as possible about mix ratios,# of coats,temp,etc.The best thing to do is go with an actual factory paint,and if you tint it make extra again.If you look through the American,Aisian and European color charts,you'd be amazed at how many colors are close to what you want.Anyone into yellow with a green cast flop needs to see the '01 Lamborgini pearl.The chip in the book does it no justice at all.It's not my gig but it's tits (can I say that?).

D

drunken_munkee

thanks for the info, i plan to be using a black basecoat. so if i just lightly spray a white pearl will it give me a grey ghost look? (like i said im new at this, forgive me if my questions are a little dumb). but thanks again.

rex

I'm not sure what you'd get that way,I never tried it.I was thinking you had a can of back pearl and one of white pearl.Adding some of the white to the black will give you the dark grey,but spraying white pearl over black should do the same with a different look.Make a test panel though(look in the tips forum),I'm wondering if there will be a drastic difference in coats-you go one too many and you're too light.Test panel will tell you fast what you want.

M

Mac_Muz

Rex, I am not much of a painter, but to mix white to black will do very little. You would mix a very small amount of black to white to get a gray. If it were me, I would add a single drop of black to a pint maybe of white, and mix it, then add another drop till I had what I wanted.

With some types of paint lamp black is added to white to whiten it..... I can't explain that though, but I have seen it done by artists. I don't mean to correct you, but wish to save the cost of the paints... Mac

rex

Mac,sorry I thought you were going for a dark grey.If you mix 50/50 you get a medium to light dark grey,at least with the stuff I'm playing with.I'm not familiar with the lamp black stuff,what is it?In normal auto paint you'd put a couple-3 drops of blue in a pint of white to brighten it.First time I heard that I thought 'yeah smoke some of that stuff with me',but it works.Don't worry about stepping on my feelings,I usually don't have any-hehe.

M

Mac_Muz

I just found this Rex.... lamp black is from kerosen lamps, and use in a very different paint... like maybe artist paints (oil)I have messed and dabbled there a lot.. I have made paint fron iron oxides too.. I am getting the idea auto paints are a far cry from any others I know of....

With oil base artist paint one drop of black goes a wicked long way mixed with white....

In the old days paints was made with alot of things like eggs as the stickum part, and that was called tempra...... and then milk which is still made and has caustics in it, and is "milk paint". I do historical re-enactment of the French and Indian War (F&I) and make paint to put right on me....

Interestingly, I find this paint made from iron oxides (reds, yellows, greens, and blues, white and black too, mixed with bear grease, or sun tan lotion if you want to smell better insulates one from the sun and wind, and also stops bugs from biting ......