MIG Power

martin3294

What power rating MIG is good enough for motorcycle fenders and tanks? Don't want something that will be too powerfull but something powerfull enough if that makes sense. It is for modifying tanks and fenders.

T

TAZ

We use a Millermatic I will give you the model tomorrow. Can't remember off hand.

T

TAZ

We use the Millermatic 135. We've had it for about 3 1/2 years now with absolutely no problems. Great little welder.

Maybe others have some input on what they or their shop uses?

:ears:

Milkman

You can easily get away with even an 85 amp machine as I used for 3 years. It just isn't going to give you a great weld bead on slightly thicker parts. Fine for sheet metal parts however. I now use a 200 amp Miller, and it does a lot better on everything of course. Worry more about the quality of the machine rather than the power.

ironknight

The lincon 170 is the best all round body repair welder..but if you really want to do the job right with the least amount of effort TIG is the only way to go you can get small units fairly cheap and the create the least amount of warpage which can save you many hours of aggrivating hammer and dolly work unless you own a plenishing hammer or english wheel:luck:

GODORACER

horbart-85/lincoln sp-250

I Have Been Welding For About 15 Years And The Key To It Is Not The Output Of The Welder Or The Power It Is , To Use The Proper Shielding Gas For Whatever Type Of Metal You Are Working With.
If You Working With Sheet Metal On A Car You Can Use Any 300.00$ Mig If It Is Gas Shielded. If You Are Concerned With Warpage Turn The Speed Down And The Power And Go Slower But Most Importantly Is To Listen ,if You Are Fryin Bacon Consistently Your Right On !

67 canso s/d

I have a Hobart 187, but the portability of a 110 is sure great. Take it anywhere you want, even to help out your buddy who doesn't have a welder.

Bob.

Kong

I use a Millermatic 140 with Autoset and it will easily handle sheetmetal work of any sort and also frame or chassis work if you find yourself needing to go heavier. Its a 120 volt machine but if you intend to do a lot of welding on anything thicker than a quarter inch steel then go to a 220. You can buy a less expensive machine than a Miller, Hobart is one that is highly recommended that comes immediately to mind.

The link says they go for a bit over $800 but I know I paid a lot less than that for mine, I'm thinkin' maybe $600 or something around there - I really don't remember.

Miller - MIG Welding - Millermatic® 140 with Auto-Set™

Last edited:

62Blue

I just bought a Eastwood 175 mig. welder in 220 volt and it welds very well. being a fabracator for 45years I have used all kinds and for the price and home use you can't beat it. The price was right too so look on their website.
62Blue
Don