metal flake gun?

A

aircooled

I just got a job to do 4 vw trikes and they all have to be done in large flake. anyone know what type of gun to use for this stuff.

DivaGrafica

I just used a metal flake gun for the first time. I need to practice more but one thing I need to do next time is lower the air pressure.....a lot! I think I over loaded the tank with flakes and it's always a problem to sand it without making damage to the flakes. I'm attaching a pic of my last flakes job. The little white dots are flakes that turned white because of the sanding. This is my sencond flake job BTW and I had same problem the first time. I burried the flakes under a lot of clear and still had this problem and never got a real smooth finish. The first time I applied the flakes manually with a home made shaker.
XL-Old-Skool-BF-det.jpg

Attachments

• XL Old Skool BF det.jpg
    XL Old Skool BF det.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 15

blue9

I'm going to piggy back my question onto this thread:

I'm looking to buy a paint set-up that I'll be able to use with an Iwata airbrush all the way up to a flake gun like this Bomber 2.5:
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/bomber/bomber.html

What I need to know is the minimum size air compressor I need. I'm hoping that this will work for my needs:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html

I'm not painting cars or motorcycles. I'm painting steel sculptures with not a lot of surface area. The largest area I might paint at one time would probably be about 3'x3'. Would the above compressor be able to supply enough air to the flake gun?

Cheers for any thoughts and advice!

Gav179

Check out franky's speeds hop on YouTube the guy is a wizard with flake he even made a coffee machine look cool, he used a devilbiss pri gun with a 2.5 fluid needle but I can't remember the aircap

Just realised how old this post was ill leave my comment anyway incase it helps anybody else