Material Advice. Lost

joebudd

I do so much reading, I just get lost. I have 2 things I want to paint. First a plastic bumper on my car. I want to do it like the factory, base coat, clear coat. What do I need? Small paint chips and one spot will need a very little filler. I just want to fix the rash, scuff and shoot. What primer do I need, I want to shot urethane base and clear 2k. I also read flex agent, no flex agent, it causes yellowing, mix matched paint colors. Do I need to prime the whole panel or just the filled areas? I would like to blend the clear to the edges to the factory paint on the edges that meet the fenders.
Second problem I have a steel motorcycle frame I want to paint. I want to use a single stage urethane satin paint. There is an unknown paint on the frame. bare spots and light rust that I put a converter on. What do I need. I read primers, sealers. then primers then paint. I would like to shoot an epoxy primer then shoot the paint. What works?
Like I said, completely lost. So many opinions.
Thanks to all

chopolds

You can buy flexible spot putty to repair the bumper, and flex primer in spray cans. You need to finish the putty in at least 400 grit, then prime the repair. Wait a day or 2 sand with 500 or 600 wet, 1000 on the rest of the bumper, and then color gets blended after you completely cover the repair. Clear the whole bumper. as for flex agent, so many different opinions. I'd say follow the advice ( or directions on the tech sheet) of the store you buy paint from. Be sure to ask for the tech sheets for the paint and follow what they recommend.
The frame, if you're looking to do a good job, either sand, or have the frame sandblasted. Don't trust nice paint over rust or unknow paint. I'd use either etch primer, then single stage, or epoxy primer and single stage.