Masking tips?

F

flamin_jake

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the board, and already got some questions. I'm trying to paint some flames on the tips of the spare tire hold-down spinner on my Suburban (picture here), and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the best way to mask them. I got some 1/8 inch masking tape at the local hobby shop to do it in the "traditional" way, outlining the flames with the skinny tape, but it's only a 1" diameter pipe I'm trying to flame, so I didn't have enough room to mask this way. This is a no-hurry project, and I've tried a couple of times now - sandblasters make a great "reset" button. The first time, my buddy and I used part of a paper label cut out as a mask, but it bled around the edges. I re-did that yesterday by using 2" blue masking tape from Home Depot and drawing the flames on with a sharpie, and then cutting them out with an X-acto knife. This method seems to work okay, but it's chipping the base color around the edges. I'm going to outline the flames with candy purple to define them and cover these chips. I'll take some pictures of the flames I have done tonight and get them posted. I definitely need to follow the pinstripe masking thread too. LOL.

Something's screwy with that link, so you might have to hit refresh to see the picture. I think it's the web site provider, not the link...

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: flamin_jake ]

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: flamin_jake ]

T

TAZ

You might want to try some Transferite paper (check your local arts store). You should be able to wrap a piece around where you are going to flame, then you can draw and cut out the flames.