Masking Tip for all the newbies out there

T

TAZ

I've seen it time and time again where newbies are using newspaper to mask up their cars.
Don't do this.
In order to run newspapers through the printers, they have little perforations on on the edges of them. When you use newspaper as masking material, some of your overspray will get past these holes making a lot of cleanup on your glass, bumpers, and wherever else you don't want the paint to go.

Spend the little extra bit of money to buy a roll of 18". You'll be glad you did.

:bigokay:

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Great little tip Taz, thanks. You'll even get the ink off the paper being transferred to your work. Just look at your hands after reading the paper. Don't think you want that on your artwork. At one time James the butler actually ironed the paper to set the ink. Guess the upper crust and roylaty didn't like dirty mitts. Life musta been tough back then.

4point0

Ok, this is a bit off topic... but would there be a way to actually transfer news print to the surface of a car? I'm just curious. That'd be kinda cool to have a newspaper paint job :D

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
yep sure is, it called laser transfer, Print an image from your laser printer then iron it on to your work surface with a houshold iron.

T

TAZ

Great little tip Taz, thanks. You'll even get the ink off the paper being transferred to your work. Just look at your hands after reading the paper. Don't think you want that on your artwork. At one time James the butler actually ironed the paper to set the ink. Guess the upper crust and roylaty didn't like dirty mitts. Life musta been tough back then.

Thanks Brian...yea, that's true too. Definitely don't want the ink on your artwork!

T

TAZ

Actually, what we did was straight from a lazer printer. It was not a transfer like you find for a shirt.
Sounds like what Brian is talking about could be just like the iron on decals/stickers. Never tried this way though

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
yep, that's it Scott,kind of neat huh. It's not my idea though,can't recall where i heard or read it. Wonder if you could iron it on to a Tee. Have to try it.