masking film

'03 zx6r

whats better frisket film or tcp's masking film? have both, but dont know which to use for my checkered flag project. like the tcp one cuz i can draw on it. frisket to, but it has to be peel to apply. but over results, which is better???

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Stay away from the masking film,as the reducers and solvents will activate it and leave a gummy residue behind.You can use vinyl application tape or what is known as transfer tape. None the less you still have to be cautious and not pound the paint on. You can also use the green 3m masking tape. Just make sure it not the cheap hardware store variety. As this stuff will give ya nightmares to. The frisket film you are referring to will work with the water base paints,but imop it a little too aggressive for me. Have fun.

'03 zx6r

thanks brian. i have used all and the 3m green tape and tcp's masking film are great. the frisket is what gave me doubts. non left residue though.

Skeletoil

Liquid spray mask, leaves no residue, no wrinkles, 20 times easier to cut than tape or film. Fast and easy to draw on with Sharpie pen. Must have two heavy coats, runs permitted here. Thin coats are hard to get off. Transparent. Cut design, go easy it cuts easy, roll the cutout off by hand. Tip do not use wax and grease removers, IE Final wash on water based colors, it smears them, however if you want to take them off?

T

TAZ

Hmmm, I had a quart of liquid mask a while ago, but I ended up never using it. I believe it was made by "Metalflake".

Hoss, Let me know how it works out for you.

hoss

i'll have to try it out. it'd be awesome if you could reapply the stuff for complex graphix. but it would make things faster w/ flamz and stuff.

I'll let you know about it scott