Marbilizer trick

4xmike

To all who like using marbilizer. A few years ago I painted a Sportster tank that had some marblizing in the graphics. The customer wanted something cool to make it stand out so I mixed some house of kolor glow in the dark powder to the marbilizer. It didn't effect the regular color of the marbilizer and it did have a noticeable glow in low light like in bar parking lots and such. It actually worked very well. I will see if I can dig up some pics of it.

4xmike

I haven't been able to find my old pics, but I still have some mixed up so I can do a real quick spray out. I should have this done in the next week or so.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I would say it can. You could spray a silver (or any color) base. Then do the marbling with your candy color. Or, do it vice-versa. Do the candy base, then do the marble effect with another color

Ricks2524

Here's what I'm planning let me know if on track. Shoot a silver base followed by Candy red. After that, mask off my designs, add a couple more coats of candy red to the designed area only to darken it some and marbleize it. Then clear. Am I headed in the right direction? Going through the internet for ideas is getting pretty confusing.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think just adding a couple more coats of candy over the graphics will get you what you want. If you are looking for a 'darker' shade, then just make the base darker.
Spray the silver, mask off your graphics, slightly darken the silver, then spray the candy over the complete panel.
THEN do the marble over the graphics...of course' you'll need to remask the graphics.
OR, you can spray the silver, mask off the graphics, do the darker silver color. Do the marble over the graphics, then remove masking, then spray the complete panel in candy red. The only downfall of this is the marble will be under the candy. Not a bad thing though.

I've done quite a few jobs where silver is the base, then I do black 'marble' effect over the silver. Then I candy over that. I have a step by step in the How-to section, but you need to be a subscriber.
If you did it this way, you should add an outline around the graphics.
Here is a pic where the base is the marble effect.candymarblebase-candy-flames-15.jpg

Ricks2524

Where did I go wrong !! Sprayed a small test panel. Black base masked off an area and shot Met silver and used the saran wrap... so far so good... after that I applied a couple coats of Candy red... The candy red almost hid/covered the entire pattern. I wasn't expecting that... I did use spray cans because I didn't want to waste or open quarts. Thank goodness for resting first..

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Did you just spray a silver metallic over the black or a silver marbelizer?

From what it sounds like possibly you did not put enough silver over the black, or you put too much candy red on it.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you could see the metallic very good before you put the candy on, I would say you just put the candy on too thick. I'd ask how many coats of candy you put on, but I don't know how thin or thick the spray can candy is.