Marbelizing

G

Garry

Anyone care to shed some light on marbelizing techniques? I've read some past posts, and saw that Saran Rap works great, then the little joke about the K-Mart bag vs the Wal-Mart bag. How exactly is this effect accomplished? I'm considering doing my tank flames "marbelized" just kinda leary what it might look like. It would be a Blue/Purple Metallic B/C for the flames over a Black non-metallic B/C. (PPG paints) then C/C entire tank of course. Just curious on what this may look like and how it is done. Thanx in advance.
rolleyes.gif

T

TAZ

Hey Garry,
Basically all results of the marbleizer are caused by the way you "blotch" or "sponge" the material you are using on the marbleizer.

Marbleizer is basically a pearl flake embedded in a clear material that stays wetter for a longer period of time so you can create the effect. You can pretty much use anything you wish to create this effect. I have found that Saran Rap works the best, but as mentioned in previous posts that plastic shopping bags will give a great effect as well.

Just "wad" or "shrivel" up your material (Saran Wrap, bag, alum, foil...), then touch it to the marbleized surface.

Each type of material will give you a different effect.
smile.gif

G

Garry

So then you can't just use any type of paint, it has to be a pearl flake imbedded clear?

T

TAZ

Actually, it is a special paint used to create this effect. The most popular is the "House of Kolors" brand.

N

Nate Hansen

You can use any brand of urethane basecoat you wish to do the marbelizing. Mix any pearls, toners or anything like that into a clear basecoat for your marbelizer and you're ready to go.