Looking for Airbrush/Sprayer

Jeager

Plan on painting my bike soon, and wondering what the most cost effective sprayer or airbrush would be. It might be the only job I really use it for, so im not looking to spend over 50~. Also some recommendations for paint would be nice. Im doing my virago, so metal tank and 2 metal fenders. I have 4 types of sand paper, and some primer I got from auto zone before thinking of using a sprayer. I plan to use a white primer, then do a couple white coats, mask off a design I want, then do a few black coats.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Not for sure of any decent airbrushes for under $50. You may want to check out TCG Global or Coast Airbush.

You may want to check out a local body shop jobber for some cheap paint. Possibly you can even get a quart of mis-matched paint that sometimes they sell. They usually sell these mixes heavily discounted.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've learned through the years, the higher you pay for a tool, the better quality you will get (most cases)
On spray guns, they tend to spray 'decent', but don't last too long due to the cheaper castings.
Sounds like they would work in your case as long as they have good spray patterns.
Let us know how it works out!

cheap spray

If you want to do whole piece coverage I wouldn't suggest an airbrush. With a tip size of approx. .5 you'll have trouble getting a consistant paint pattern. Forget about metallics. I got a jamb gun at the flea market for $30.new.

Jeager

So you would recommend a paint sprayer? And during my airbrush search I was actually thinking about how small the tips would be and how it would affect the overall job. Also I couldn't find any matte colors for airbrushes. Where would I be able to find some nice flat/matte colors for automotive if I did get a sprayer?

Yeap a mini gun should do the trick. 1.0 jamb gun. As far as your matte colors. U can use your regular bases but when u clear use a flattening agent in your clear and any color underneath will appear flat or matte. Keep in mind you cant buff out imperfections because then it will be shiny.

LoneStarBrand

HARBOR FREIGHT! Get you a airbrush Deluxe for 19.99 and might even have an hvlp gun for the same price if not less...

No need to buying expensive tools... thats for someone wanting to make a living, and or are making a living through their tools.

Thats why they invented compounds and and buffing pads!

Paint Guns at Harbor Freight Tools

Last edited:

fontgeek

One of the many problems with brushes and sprayers from places like Harbor Freight is that the quality is so inconsistent that it's really a crap shoot. While you may think that "well, it's okay for just the one job" the reality is that you may have issues while doing this "one job", and then you are out of luck when ti comes to getting replacement parts, and while buying another of the "same" brush or sprayer may seem like the answer, you will find that they (harbor freight or whoever the importer is) buys junk from whoever they can get the stuff from for the least amount of money, even though they may still list and advertise the items as being one and the same as what they sold you before. In the end, you end up with expensive paperweights.

As to the choices in paints, keep in mind that your primer, your base coats, and your artwork coats all need to be compatible with each other and with the clear coat you would finish the job with.

yingxuy

They often spray "decent", but will not last too long, because the cheap castings. Sounds like they will work as long as your case, because they have a good spray pattern. Let us know how it works!

tomsteve

my personal opinion is this: yeah, you may think at this time maybe the only job, but if the end result is awesome, you may get hooked and want to do more. i say spend the $$$ for proven quality equipment, then if ya dont want to do any more, you can sell it.