Lincoln Welders

T

TAZ

Looking to get a welder for the shop.
Anyone know anything about the "LINCOLN PRO-MIG 135"? Is this a decent welder? Want to stay around the $400-$700 range (e-Bay prices
grin.gif
)

Or is their another one, that is a "better value" for what you get. Even if it is another brand...possibly Miller?

I will just be doing mild welding.

Any input is appreciated.

V

VANIMAL

I HAVE THE LINCOLN 170 T WIREFEED.ITS 220VOLT & WELDS GREAT. DONT BUY THE ONE THAT SAYS GAS ADAPTABLE ITS A PAIN AND COSTLY TO BUY THE PARTS. BUY THE ONE THATS ALL SET FOR THE GAS. I USE A MIX CALLED BLUE SHIELD. GREAT FOR LIGHT GAUGE OR UP TO 1/4". GOOD LUCK- DONT BUY 110 VOLT!

Jim

Scott,I'm useing my friends new pro-pak 100.I bought the $69 conversion for it and a 40lb bottle argon/co2 mix.I think it was around $130 full,then it's $30 to exchange thereafter.It worked perfect for 22ga panels, my trunk,wheelhouses etc.
Before my friend offered his,I almost bought the 135,it looks pretty good,it will go down to 25 amps for panels and welds up to 3/8 or better.I'm pretty sure you could get the stitch timer for that one too.When you get a bottle,don't get the 40lb,it's too small.I think the next size up is called"Q"size.
I went to all the home improvement stores and they sell lincoln models just a little differant so you can't compare prices.When your bidding,take into consideration that they weigh about 50lbs.Make sure you ask what thier shipping fee is.Good Luck!

M

Motornoggin

I really like the little Miller's. They have infinitely adjustable current AND wire speed, they are also linked by a computer that will compensate for current and wire speed if you adjust one a little to far, it will still lay a respectable bead. The internal parts are also very good, the transformers and such. You can hear the difference between a good one and an o.k. one. The good one will have a nice smooth sizzle, the o.k. one's kind of crackle. Sizzle means a nice clean weld with good penetration. I already had the bottle, but the welder, cart and regulator was about $550. A very good value for the quality you get.

rex

Hey Scott.What are you using it for,just light stuff or do you want the little extra for anything that pops up?I'm a Miller fan but my buddy had a little Lincoln with 2 rocker switches for the heat settings.It worked great but you'd get in between heat settings and had to adjust your wire speed and travel speed to compensate.I got some great welds out of it but it was kind of a pain.I prefer the rheostat for the heat so you can set it anywhere,but if it does have settings for the heat I like alot of them for the versatility.Century isn't bad when you get into the middle of the line but I find them built a little cheap.Did you check out the local welding shops?Sometimes they'll give you a price alot better than you think they'll give.For the 110 or 220 deal,it depends on your use.220 is definately it,but if you're only going to play with say 16 guage and smaller a 110 is fine if you can find one with the rheostat or 8 or so heat settings.Good luck,every time I think about a mig I go right back to the Miller 175amp and don't want to drop $1500(that's a guess,I can't remember what the guy told me now).Definately don't go gassless,they really suck.

T

TAZ

Hmmm...thanks for all the input!!!
bounce.gif
. I do just plan on doing light welding. Extensions, shaving rivets...not too much more than that. I did see the gassless, and I was like how in the world...
I guess I know now. Know wonder you don't see many.

I think I will see our local weld shop...funny, I have one of the top welding co. around here about 2 blocks up the road.

Thanks again!
Scott
grin.gif

rex

Scott,do you have Krumpton's there?We've had great service from them and they were the ones I got the price from,I think it was a few hundred less than anyone else.That gassless uses a special flux core wire that spatters worse than weld thru primer.It even sounds weird,like you didn't turn the gas on for a normal setup.

B

Bigdan1928

Im kinda spoiled, i have a miller tig id never sell and a smaller 120 amp miller mig thats perfect for what your after. I got mine for 500 bucs all set up.If you plan on doitng clean sheet metal repaits, then keep a bottle of 100% argon on hand.CO2 isnt bad for most all welding, but the argon sheild 35% better than the cheap CO2. I do a lot of one off hood scoops and flares and use the tig for most of it, but my mig can do the job just as well.Miller has more control than the others of its size and last a lot longer.Century is to lincoln,like omni is to ppg.Not bad but dont bite on it.