laying down the clear?

V

voodoosurfer

Ok so I have a cheap gravity gun, I have airbrushed for years and have done a few bikes but always had someone else clear for me. I am trying the clear out. first off I did 2 helmets this weekend and overall they look great, minimal debris and a couple of sags. gotta get used to the gun. my question is that I notice that once its set up it has little pin dots all over it. not fish eye but like tiny little speckels. what might have caused this, did I maybe mix it wrong. I am using a hyperclear dupont 4:1 ratio. thanks for any input

Austin

Voodoosurfer, sounds like it could be solvent popping. This is caused by heavy applicatin of clear, or too much flash time between coats. If they are small alot of times they will wetsand and buff out.
Austin

A

alienboy

I agree, sounds like solvent pop....Could be your using a wrong reducer.

V

voodoosurfer

Ok so is the High Temp Activator the reducer. I am using Dupont Chromaclear HC-7600s with hypercure technology 4:1 part chromaclear HC-7607s high temp activator. now I am really new to clear coats so im just going off of what the guy behind the counter told me and sold me. I would agree that putting it on too thick might be my problem because I did. It didnt seem to flow on real smooth so I kept spraying till it was smooth, but I only got a couple of drips off the edge of the helmet, none in the body. is the activator the reducer or am I missing an agent? oh and it did sand and buff out.

Jim

Clear and activator is all you need,4/1 is right.For better flow out,Try a slower reducer....at least Med.I like Hypercure for really small parts but,the 7900S for larger stuff.