LACQUER

S

shaunboy

IN THE SMASH REPAIR INDUSTRY I OFTEN COME ACROSS 2PACK CLEAR DELAMINATING FROM THE BASE COLOR.
mad.gif

THIS IS USUALLY BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS PUT LACQUER COLOR ON AS A BASE INSTEAD OF A TRUE BASECOAT.
IT MAY SEEM CHEAPER AT FIRST ,BUT,DONT DO IT!!
2PACK CLEAR DOES NOT CONTAIN ENOUGH SOLVENT TO BITE INTO THE LACQUER AND WILL EVENTUALLY JUST FALL OFF.
mad.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

rex

Very wise words.My experience has been urethane is hotter than lacquer and melts it,so there is piss poor mechanical adhesion to begin with and any sanding you do pretty much melts away/

C

Coombsy

You are right Shuanboy and we get a lot of it in NZ. Problem is lauqer is solvent boune which means the solvent can be traped under the clear coat which causes delamingation. Its a real bitch when some dickhead has done it over a flame job.
mad.gif

Keep on trucking

gtc73

Morning all!

So regarding lacquer vs urethane,
I am using lacquer thinner to CLEAN with, but not to spray with. I stick to urethanes with urethanes.

Last night while base spraying a test panel, I "almost" caved to using the lacquer thinner given it was a test panel to save on the few precious drops of urethane reducer that I have left (ya ya, time to get down to the local shop and pick up another gallon)....

Also, as I understand it, lacquer thinners and lacquer base paints are "banned" in massachusetts?? can anyone confirm that?....which if true is just another good reason to stay away from lacquers....for anything other than cleaning purposes....

thanks/g

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
This was an older thread (real old - 10 years). Not for sure if is banned since I don't live there, but not many painters use it for painting.
It's all urethanes and reducers.
There might still be some paint lines that do use thinner for reducing though.

gtc73

Didn't realize the thread was that old Taz, I try not to create new threads on topics that already exist.....thanks for the response though....

This was an older thread (real old - 10 years). Not for sure if is banned since I don't live there, but not many painters use it for painting.
It's all urethanes and reducers.
There might still be some paint lines that do use thinner for reducing though.