Lacquer Paint checking

I

Insect

I have done some lacquer painting a long time ago ( almost 20 years ago ) and wanted to repaint my old custom 71 Harley. I was kind of surprised after preping and shooting primer and base ( black ) lacquer on my sissy bar ( back rest ) and letting it sit for about a week to cure as it was rather cold when I shot it ( 56 to 60 degrees ) and the temp in my garage dropped to around 40 over nights. As the weather here has now gotten warmer I went to wet sand the sissy bar ( so I could clear coat it ) only to find lots of small checking over its entire surface. Was this due to the temperatures during the shooting and cureing or did I just screw up somewhere along the line? Ohh and yes I did wash and clean and degrease the bars before the primer and after every wet sanding nad just before the base lacqure coats ( 6 thin coats in all ). I used dura color lacquer from the local auto paint supply house and followed all directions ... except of course the temperature recommendations. Also since it has checked I assume I will have to strip it all off and start over to correct the problem or is there a way of fixing it without stripping it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Insect

T

TAZ

I would say it something to do with the primer that you used. Possibly you used some type of spray can primer (I assume this since you used spray can lacquer black for the basecoat). When you sprayed the primer, then sprayed the black, the lacquer black "ate" into the primer, thus giving it the effect of "checking" or lifting. The primer actually "moved" under your black basecoat.
In other words, incompatibility of materials. You will definitely have to strip it back down and start over.

I

Insect

Thanks for the help ... I guess I will have to go back and get some primer/sealer from the same mfg compatable with the lacquer. If I have preped my fenders already should I strip the other primer off or can I shoot over it with the new ( compatable dura-color ) primer? Should I seal it between the different primers?

Thanks for the quick reply ....

Insect

rex

I'm with Scott on this,but also lacquer will craze if a sudden temperature change exists,like taking it out of a 40 degree garage right into an 80 degree house.Are you sure you want lacquer?You can almost duplicate the beauty and the maintenence is far less with urethane.I got tired of those damn waterspots when an afternoon shower popped up.If you do want the lacquer,use the entire system from metal up.Stay away from those spray cans too unless you can find a paint jobber that still mixes lacquer and can load them in a rattle can for you.90% of the spraycans are low to medium quality.If you have or can get a compressor,the Binks #7 copys can be had for $30-40.Use them a few times and throw it away.Jeesh,that was a flashback,I haven't used a #7 since the last time I sprayed lacquer.Also,don't put anything else on top of lacqer.There have been many 2K clears made over the years to topcoat lacquer with,but most are a nightmare waiting to happen.