just curious

hoss

how did most of you guys get your starts in this business.

did you go to school?
just do some projects on the side and it built from there?
started painting w/ another professional?

just curious, i was just wondering how far fetched it would be for me to start a little side business?

Jim

Hey hoss,since none of the pros answered yet...I've only been doin this for three years but,I started doing side jobs last yr and things are getting better every day.It's not far fetched at all. Just do a good job and word will get out.To this day,I haven't seen anyone paint yet,before I got on this board,I never picked up a paint gun.

A

alienboy

I started painting by working on model cars.....I was using dupont paints to paint these tiny cars. One day I decided to tackle my friends motorcycle.
After that I found this group and have loved painting ever since.

hoss

I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to be friendly.

I was starting to get a little pissy, a 330 lb pissy guy isn't pleasent. kidding!

I live in a very small town, and started doing this on the side (when i'm not coaching or teaching music). I really enjoy it, but was kinda thinking about the market for it in this area. I'll just keep doing it for enjoyment and see how it builds from there.

thanks for your replies.

Burnt

I started out doing it on the side and still am. I have been doing the art work for a long time and someone else would do the painting and clearing. I found it hard to keep someone to do the painting so I decided to start doing it all myself last year. I have learned alot from the guys here and am very thankful. I am hopeing to be good enough by the time I retire (I'm 59) to have a good name for myself and keep on going. I think if you do a good job and treat people fairly the word will get around, just don't rush it.

"Paint it and they will come" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif

Jim

Just wait til winter Hoss,your answers will come alot faster!It's been like this all summer,everybody is out enjoying the weather.
P.S. I know for a fact,most big guys are teddybears,it's the little guys (who think they have something to prove) that me nervous and I'm 6'4" 260lbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

F

FirefighterDave

I was wondering about the inactivity on the board also. I am sure alot of people are out enjoying the Summer. There also seems to be alot of members from Florida ( including the Owner). Those guys have their hands full now with the Hurricanes. Best of luck to those people. Being new here myself, I have been busy reading the old threads. There is tons of useful info to get me going.

Jim

Ya,there is a wealth of information here,the folks on this board are more than willing to give up alot of thier secrets that they learned and by thier own mistakes (including my own).That's one of the reasons I like it here.You'll have alot of fun here and learn along the way.

G0rdyb1ker

Hi Guys

I started in T-shirt design then moved to airbrushing leather jackets now I'm painting bikes and learning how to pinstripe with brush :)

One people get to know where you are you wont be short of bikes or cars to paint
Gordy

rex

Welcome aboard Dave and thanx for the thoughts,we need a little bit of a break.

Hoss,it'll come if you persue it.I kind of got lucky because I got a crash course from a friend without starting out sweeping floors and being 'scuffy boy'.My love is paint but I acually took the first few years to learn body and frame work and tried to get that down as I worked into paint.To me painting is the easiest part of it,but there are things you won't figure out without someone telling you-one of those deals where you only need one tidbit of info and a bunch of things just click.The info is all in here basically,the only bummer is it's scattered into posts.One good place to find some is in my ramblings on a sub post.

hoss

after 10 years it's still very fun!! If you're good enough word will travel and people will find you! I'm ok and people are keeping me busier than i want to be at time.

"if you paint it well, and treat people well, others will come!"

KustomCandy

Would you be the same Hoss from kkl mate?

Interesting Thread. I myself have found myself with this Question. Ive been Airbrushing for a time now, Moved into pinstriping. And Now have my sights on doing some helmet painting. Down here in Oz, its a little like tattooing. Your expected to get an apprenticeship. (tho their are painters that started out as many have here)
Your Post gives me hope yet :)

Dan