Iwata LPH-80 Mini Gun ???

BeoBob

Anyone have experience with this gun? Looking for something in between an airbrush and a full sized gun. I will be using it for more artwork type things in basecoat and candy, small motorcycle parts, and the like.

There are 2 versions, the 104 with a 1.0 nozzle and the 124 with a 1.2 nozzle. From what I have read they both use the same needle, you only have to buy the larger nozzle ($70) to go up a size. Is this true?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I've never used this gun. I do have 4 Iwata W100 guns which now seem to be a dated mini gun. I never did like the swivel cup.
I took a look at the LPH-80 and I noticed it had a stationary cup which IMO is good.
Looks like it'd be a good mini gun to me. I also use Iwata full sized guns as well

I would think mini guns with that small of needle, you could simply change the caps to achieve the 1 and 1.2.

I don't know if you've bought one yet, but there are several on ebay

If you have one or are buying one, be sure and post how you like it

chopolds

I've got one, but don't know about the change in size. It's a great little gun, just right for being in between a full size one, and an airbrush. It can do delicate fades on a flame job, or shoot out enough material to paint a motorcycle fender or tank. VERY good atomization, and little overspray. I believe I have the 1.0 tip, and it still puts out a pretty wide fan, and volume of paint for a mini gun.

BeoBob

I went ahead and ordered one, so that's awesome to hear Chop. I looked at the ones on Ebay, but went with one on Amazon for $2 more. I will get back to you in a week or so with my impressions.

BeoBob

I got the 1.0 tip. As much as I want to, I haven't had the chance to play with it yet. Hopefully this weekend.

BeoBob

I took a few minutes this weekend and sprayed a very small piece with the new Iwata LPH-80… a strip about 2” wide and 6” long. This was a sample of Crystal Clear (pre-mixed pearl in 2K clear from MIC) followed by a coat of 2K clear. I had a lot to do that day so I didn’t play around.

Setup of the Iwata LPH-80 was super easy. Pattern was small, tight, and easily adjustable. There was very little overspray, very little wasted material. It took about half of the amount of paint I expected it to take. Transfer rate was phenomenal. This gun uses almost no air. Seemed like I could have used a helium balloon to run it. I could have probably turned the air down a bit and reduced the overspray / improved the transfer rate even more. It did spit a few chunks. This was either from the hardener’s crusty can or assembly lube. My fault for not straining 1 oz. of paint (AND/OR) not giving the gun a thorough cleaning before getting started. Like I said, I was in a hurry. Disassembly and cleanup were easy, no surprises.

I need some time to play with the gun and test its limits, but at this point I would say this thing is exactly what I was looking for.

chopolds

Great, it really is a super high quality gun. Glad it worked out for you!
But remember, if you cut down air pressure too much, you'll get more orange peel.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That's great to hear. Glad you're liking it. Some of those chunks also could have been from the air pressure being too low.
It'll take practice to get the hang of it. You're off to a good start though!

BeoBob

Setup was a little high intentionally because I was working with un-reduced clear and I didn't want orange peeled pearl. That would be bad.

Atomization was excellent. Just didn't have the time to find that sweet spot working with so little material on a small area. Sure looked/felt like there was room for adjustment. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can spend some time getting familiar with this gun.

Chunks were not from the pearl coat, showed up in the coat of clear. They are still sticking up. The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards it being crap from the can. I will need to sand and final clear the sample after the next step anyway, so no big deal.

One more large test panel to go. I think I have the kinks worked out of the process. I have all the tools and materials (clear and epoxy on the way). One last run through the whole thing with the exact tools and materials I am going to use. Then it's time to pull the bike apart and get down to business.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, that's what it sounds like. Chunks that got through the gun.
Once you strain it, you should be fine...as long as you cleaned the gun good